Scandal 51 - In which the wife organizes a wedding

Scandal 51 – In which the wife organizes a wedding

Umiling si Cassandra habang sinusubaybayan ang mga household staff ng Rosslyn Hall na inaayos ang buong ballroom ng manor. “I don’t really think this is a great idea.” Bulong niya sa katabi niya.

Ngumiti lang ang Duke sa kanya, “Her Majesty wants this wedding to happen, Cassandra and it will happen.” Sabi nito, tumalikod na ito at paalis na ng ballroom nang nagsalita ulit ito, “Rest, countess. I don’t want people to wonder why you’re so bloody pale on my wedding.” At naglakad na paalis.

She glared at his retreating back, damn that man. Hindi naman sa ayaw niyang makasal si Veronica at Somerset kaso ang sa kanya lang ay isang buwan palang ang nakakalipas simula nung assassination at hindi talaga magandang imahe yung pagdiriwang na magaganap.

It was expected that they be in mourning. Ano nalang ang sasabihin ng mga tao sa kanila kung sakali? Lalo’t pa na sila ang una sa mga aristocrats na magho-host ng isang house party. The ton would probably say it was insensitive and of course they wouldn’t want to admit it to others but daring and bold.

Nobody would say what they were being brave or what. No. They would say that they were being insensitive after all the whole kingdom was in mourning. It’d be bad image.

But the Queen had spoken. She wanted this to happen. She wanted the media to have another subject other than the assassination of Prince Henry. So now, the Carmichael family had no other choice than to follow the order.

“Phillips!” she called out, the butler turned then walked toward her, “Are all the rooms ready for the guests?” she asked.

“Yes, my lady. As per your request we have the cottage ready for Lady Venetia and the Prime Minister.” Phillips answered.

“And the garden?”

“Done, my lady.”

Cassandra asked more questions, it was only right to ask it especially since she didn’t want any mistakes to happen at this house party. This was her responsibility as the mistress of the house. Although Aunt Mildred had told her that she’d do it all, Cassandra refused. This was her job, her duty as the Countess of Rosslyn.

Phillips ran off to some other errands to take care of, Cassandra read the paper Phillips handed her before he left. It was for tonight’s menu and tomorrow’s. She folded it then and put in her pocket, she’d go down to the kitchen and talk with Cook later after the staff was done in the preparations here at the ballroom.

She braced her back on the wall, she was feeling a little lightheaded and she feared that she might faint. That, she couldn’t do, not in front of all the staff.

“I don’t get why Veronica likes Calla lilies so much.” Hunter suddenly whispered on her ear that startled her.

She placed her hand over her fast beating chest, God, that was a fright. She glared at Hunter, “You gave me a fright.”