Scandal 60 - In which the princess threatens the prince

Scandal 60 – In which the princess threatens the prince

When James woke up, he was slightly disappointed that Cassandra wasn’t in bed anymore with him, he wanted to wake up with her in his arms and they’d stay like that for the rest of the day. He’d ring for food but they’d not leave this room.

He had it planned. Cassandra must be in the bathroom or even having breakfast at the breakfast room with their guests. Cassandra was a good hostess and of course she needed to check on them.

So he understood. This was the last day of the house party and she needed to check on everything. Somehow, he expected it. The one thing he didn’t expect was the envelope at the bedside table.

It had his name on it and it was Cassandra’s handwriting. He didn’t know why she would write him a letter. Something inside him panicked, the last letter he received, Cassandra left.

He shook his head as he grabbed the envelope, he was being paranoid, Cassandra wouldn’t leave. Maybe the letter was a surprise. Telling him where they should meet, maybe she was going to surprise him.

That was it.

He hopped out of bed, started toward the desk and he grabbed the letter opener. He slit the envelope and pulled out the letter, as he unfolded the letter and read it. His world came crashing down on him.

James,

     I don’t know how to start this. Would I need to start this letter by apologizing to you? Or by telling you how I truly feel for you? I don’t know. All I know is that I need to write this.

     I am sorry. Sorry that I lied to you. When you asked me for three months, I knew then that I would not be staying with you after the three months we shared together. It was never part of my plan. And I had a plan. I wanted us to have three wonderful months together, I wanted to have many blissful memories with you. I wanted us to have a closure, a chance for goodbye. I’m sorry that I had to leave before our time is up. I just needed to leave sooner than I thought.

     Thank you James. Thank you for the wonderful moments with you. Thank you for letting me remember how much we can be happy together. Thank you for showing me that after all these years, our love will never waver, that the love we shared seven years ago is still here with us, that it was never gone.

     I love you so much that writing this is breaking my heart. It’s taking me everything to even write this and to walk out of your life forever. I know, why leave you if it’s breaking my heart, I have to James. Because it’s the honorable thing to do and because after everything we’ve been through, this is the least I can do for you.

     Don’t look for me when I’m gone. I know you will but I ask you, don’t. Please just live your life as if I was never in your life. Hate me if you must, just don’t look for me.

     I know you think what we have isn’t over yet but it is James. This is it for us. There will never be a happy ending for us. I think when we took our fate in our own hands, we messed what the universe planned for all of us. This is our punishment, no matter how much we love each other, no matter how much we want to be together, we cannot. Life has stepped in. The chapter of our life together is complete and we must write another chapter wherein we’re not together.