Scandal 23 - In which the husband takes her to lunch

Scandal 23 – In which the husband takes her to lunch

James scowled all the way to the county club, being in a car with Jenny was trying. It wasn’t as if the girl knew how to shut her mouth. Oh no, the chit had so much to tell him, all those pent-up anger she had for him, she let it out.

She told him how much she hated him for taking her sister away from them. That he was the reason why her parents never accepted Cassandra. And so much more.

Now here they were at the country club, the scowl on his face never left as Jenny continued her triad. He signaled the waiter, once the waiter was at his side, he gave back the menu and ordered a club sandwich and a glass of malt.

He needed a strong drink to endure Jenny.

“Go on order, girl.” He told Jenny.

Jenny glared at him then ordered a cheeseburger. Once the waiter took their orders, he scurried off.

James pulled out his phone from his pocket he didn’t want to listen to Jenny, he checked his emails, he could sense Jenny was shooting him a furious glare, he didn’t care. He was too damn tired to listen to her nonsense.

If she couldn’t accept that he was Cassandra’s husband then poor her. He didn’t need anyone’s approval. Damn. He stole Cassandra from his own brother and he didn’t even bother with the consequences. What people would think of it, so why would he care for this chit’s approval? He didn’t need it. Cassandra was his wife.

Nothing she say would change that fact.

“Why did you marry my sister if you hated her?” Jenny asked him softly, there wasn’t anger in her voice this time that James had to look at her eyes and he saw that she was genuinely curious about it.

Peter asked him before why he had married her. He was being honest with Peter that night, he married her because he couldn’t stomach the idea of living without her even if she hated him.

Even with the anger and betrayal, his heart knew what it wanted and damn it, his heart wanted a life with the only woman who ever made him feel.

He put his phone on the table, “I don’t hate her.” Jenny snorted. He sighed then. “I was angry and felt betrayed but I never hated her Jenny.” He told her.

“Why did you feel angry and betrayed? She loved you, she chose you over us.” Jenny asked then before James could answer, her phone rang, she excused herself, rose and walked outside.

Because she chose to leave me, chose not to fight for me, for us.

He closed his eyes as the memory replayed in his mind over and over again.

“James, look at me!” Cassandra pleaded desperately as she tried to grab hold of his hand.