Scandal 32 - In which jealousy is the husband's undoing

Scandal 32 – In which jealousy is the husband’s undoing

James sat behind his desk still staring at his phone in his hand reluctant if he should call Cassandra back. What would he say though? Would she even answer the damn phone after hanging up on him?

He wanted her by his side, there were unknown dangers and he’d die if something happened with his maddening wife. He couldn’t even think of a life where Cassandra wasn’t there anymore, what kind of life would that be? A dark and painful life for sure.

If he could help it, Cassandra would never be in danger, she won’t die on him. He’d make damn sure of that because he couldn’t for the life of him continue living if Cassandra was gone in this world.

He closed his eyes, tossed his phone aside, grabbed the decanter of bourbon that Phillips had procured earlier and poured the glass full. He drank in one shot, poured himself another, leaned back on his chair, stared at the liquid as he swirled his drink.

He heard the door opened and heard footsteps walking over the desk, he opened his eyes and saw his Aunt Venetia was seated at the chair across him. “You’ve been drinking since you came home.” She pointed her eyes to the glass he’d been nursing.

He shrugged. “What are you doing here? I’ve been meaning to ask you, shouldn’t you be at your home with your husband?”

Aunt Venetia leaned over the desk and poured herself a glass of bourbon, she took a sip gracefully and answered, “He’s busy with the nonsense the MI6 had spouted. Even if the threat is real I would be more safe here than a house full of the prime minister’s office staff wandering about. This is a fortress and your household staff have been working for the Rosslyn for generations, they are trusted and would never dare lay a finger on a Rosslyn.”

He nodded, that much was true, the family seat was a fortress, every Rosslyn earls were too cautious, the estate was vast so they built a wall and security had always been top-notch. As time went by, securities were added more and more as the Carmichael fortune grew.

 “You’ve met Angelo Chua, what do you think of him?” he asked her, he didn’t know why ask Aunt Venetia about that man but it just came out.

Aunt Venetia’s eyes widen in surprise, who wouldn’t? James had declared that anyone who dared to utter the name of that man would face his wrath. He hated the man to the core. “He’s a nice gentleman. Is he the reason why your wife isn’t here with you?”

He could only nod because it was true, Angelo Chua was the reason why they had fought and why she asked him to leave. “I saw her with him and I just lost it. We fought and she asked me to go to New York.”

“Your jealousy, dear boy, was, is and always will be your undoing.” Aunt Venetia looked at him and smiled sadly.

“I cannot be jealous? I have the right to be jealous! She’s my wife!” He growled, pissed that her aunt would say something like that.