Scandal 47 - In which the brother comes back

Scandal 47 – In which the brother comes back

Cassandra smiled as she watched Veronica danced around the room wearing her engagement gown, “You must stop dancing around Veronica, you’ll ruin the gown.” She advised.

Veronica turned to her, she looked really happy, “It’s just so beautiful, Cass. When mama told me all about the engagement gown, I’d thought it’d be a drab old gown. But look Cass, it’s perfect.”

It was. The gown was a vintage, an engagement gown worn by all female Carmichael for their betrothal balls, it was a tradition and said it brought luck. Why, every female who wore it had a great marriage.

The gown might be vintage, or just old but it did look perfect. A virginal white with little diamond around the train of the gown.

“Yes and that’s why you have to be careful with it. You don’t want to ruin it.”

Veronica nodded and stared at the mirror, “You’re right, I can’t ruin the gown. Your daughter would also wear this one day.” She smiled.

She gave Veronica a strained smile, how she wished that was true. If only her little angel was alive, then when she grew up she’d be like Veronica. If only she saved her little angel from that night.

Veronica might had noticed the sudden change in her, so she quickly ran toward her and knelt in front of her, she took her hands “I'm sorry, Cass. I didn’t mean to…”

She shook her head, “It’s alright Veronica.” She said, “Stand up before you ruin the dress.”

Veronica nodded, stood up then walked over to the bed, she slipped out of the gown and settled the gown atop the bed. She jumped to the bed arms wide spread to the bed and sighed longingly, “I can’t wait for tomorrow’s ball.”

Cassandra understood Veronica’s excited after all, this was Veronica’s engagement ball and even the princes and princesses were coming for the engagement ball. But even with the excitement going on at their London townhouse, Cassandra couldn’t help but feel a little bit of something she couldn’t put out. She didn’t know where that came from but it was there.

She just hoped it wasn’t something bad.

***

“What team are you playing for tomorrow again?” His wife asked as she continued to sketch their feet dipped in the lake.

“I’m in Prince William’s team.” James answered, tomorrow was the annual charity polo game and he was going to play. He never really participated in the game but due to some unfortunate event, Lord Brooke couldn’t play because of his broken leg.

Cassandra scrunched her nose, “Too bad we already picked what team we’re supporting.” She said. “It’s not your team by the way.” She added with a smile.