Scandal 42 - In which the fool warns the husband

Scandal 42 – In which the fool warns the husband

James watched as his wife threw back her head and laughed out loud, “But it’s true!” he said chuckling. By Jove, his wife was really beautiful when she was laughing especially when her whole face lit up. God, she was breathtaking.

Amidst her laugh, she had clearly forgotten about the paper cup she was holding that when the swing swayed the sauce fell off to her lap, she stopped laughing and looked down to her lap, “Oh.” She muttered.

James smiled, he jumped off the swing, “I’ll get you some Kleenex.” He told her and when she nodded he started toward the DBS. He opened the passenger door and bent down to grab the box of Kleenex.

Just as he was coming out, he heard a ringtone going off, he looked and learned it was coming from Cassandra’s purse. He was half-tempted to ignore it but then he wondered who would be calling his wife?

He wanted to know.

So even when he knew that he should give her privacy especially when it came with her phone he still dug the phone out, he got out of the car, closed the door and discreetly answered the phone.

The caller ID said it was Anton so really he was just curious.

“Hey Cass,  may nakalimutan akong sabihin sayo kanina nung nandito ka kanina.” Anton spoke over the line, James furrowed his brows;  she was with Anton earlier?

“Cassandra’s not available.” He told Anton.

There was a silence that followed and for a moment he thought Anton had hanged up on him but then he heard him breathed deeply then spoke, “I don’t like you but I don’t like Hunter more. There’s something about him that I can’t figure out.”

James wondered where was Anton going with this, bringing up Hunter. Then again, he knew what he was talking about, there was always something about Hunter; something cold. Colder than James would ever dreamed.

“If I were to choose between the two of you, I’d choose you for Cassandra. Lesser evil.” Anton continued, “So I guess, it’s better to tell you than Cassandra. Hunter was in Chicago.”

James sucked his breath. He hadn’t known that. And he had paid well enough to make sure that Hunter’s head security would inform him of his comings and goings.

“I'm guessing you didn’t know.” Anton stated, “We talked. He asked me to tell Cass he’ll be seeing her soon.” He said, “I think you and I both know what that meant.”

He gripped the phone tighter, damn it. “He’s coming back for her.” he said wryly. Hunter was coming back and would be fighting for Cassandra. James didn’t know what to think.

He didn’t want Hunter to ruin the three months he had with Cassandra. And he was sure as hell that Hunter would ruin it.