Chapter 13

Vada walked along the streets of the city, conscious that she was in one of the more fashionable parts. She'd hardly slept that morning but she had to leave early to avoid anyone seeing her.

When she arrived to the storage facility where she was keeping her things, she'd quickly changed into some ankle length black pants and a Fendi cotton crop top. She slipped a hat on her head, as she had so often before and a pair of dark sunglasses.

She'd basically transformed herself back into Vada and the reason was simple. Her parents had emailed her that they wanted to video call. The problem was that Vada didn't have a decent room to receive their call in, they'd see that immediately so she told them she was going to be busy and out all day and that she would call them when she stopped at a cafe.

She eventually did find a high end coffee shop where she was able to sit in one of several divided areas- intended for people meeting on business or students studying.

Then she called.

"Hi." She said, looking at her parents through the webcam on her laptop, her earphones in place.

"Hi sweetie." Nora said, "Oh my, you cut your hair!"

"Let me see." Brian said, sitting down beside Nora to get a look. Vada ran her fingers through her hair and smiled.

"Yeah- do you like it?" She asked.

"You look so cute. You look so mature. It makes you look years older." Nora said with a smile.

"You always look adorable- but what brought on the sudden idea?" Brian asked, leaning back on the sofa and putting an arm around Nora.

"I thought the change would be nice. Fitting." Vada said honestly.

"How's everything?" Brian asked. Nora rolled her eyes.

"Your father was sure you were getting into trouble. He said we should video call because for all we know you might have a nose ring." Nora said with a laugh.

"Thanks." Brian said, staring at Nora.

"Oh no!" Vada said laughing. "I cut my hair but nothing else. It's still just little old me. But tell me everything. How's everyone? how's the office? Business booming as usual?

The question sounded strange even to Vada, who was deliberately trying to get her parents to mention Matteo Peroni.

"Since when are you interested in the business?" Nora asked suspiciously.

"Hey! It's only natural that I would be curious- it is the business my parents are leaving me." Vada said with a grin.

"California seems to be doing her good." Brian said with a chuckle.

"Well, it's good- we are just preparing documents, that time of year you know." Nora said but Vada shook her head.

"Nope. I have no idea what you're talking about." She said. Vada had never taken much interest in it.

"We usually the first months of the calendar year closing deals, contracts are signed around May or June and all documents are delivered and notarized by August, which is the end of the fiscal year." Brian explained as concisely as he could.

"Oh." Vada said, pretending to be interested although the entire thing sounded dreadful. "And, did everyone sign on as expected? I think I recall your last meeting before I left was with EPI, right?"

"Yes- everyone signed on. Another successful year. And yes, you have a good memory. That was the day Davide Peroni was in town." Brian said.

"What a funny name." Vada said. "Matt mentioned they had been clients for a long time."