Chapter 57

"I can't believe that they told you about me." Stacey said, her hand on her chin as she stared out the window with a smile.

Vada didn't take her eyes off her- not for a second.

"In my house, you might as well be the boogey man." Vada said, making her turn and sneer at her.

"I can almost imagine the two of them... Laughing, making me out to be some sort of crazy bitch." Stacey said bitterly.

Vada sighed and shook her head.

"No. My parents are too good- they never spoke poorly of you." Vada said.

"But you know what happened?" Stacey asked and Vada nodded.

"We found out after your father died. It was in the papers and My sister walked in while they were speaking about it." Vada said.

"About my father?" Stacey asked.

"No- they were wondering if now that he was gone you would come back, and if you did if you would try contacting them." Vada said.

"Did they really think I as still holding a grudge?" Stacey asked. Vada frowned.

"Mom didn't but Dad wasn't sure. I see he was right." Vada muttered.

"So they taught you guys to be afraid of little old Stacey Martin?" Stacey asked bitterly.

"They told us to be careful, like any parents would- and to tell them immediately if we ever saw you." Vada said.

They were quiet for a moment.

"I did come back to the US then, after my father died, but it was a while before I went back to New York." Stacey said.

"When they realize you have me, they won't stop until they get me back and this time my parents won't be so kind." Vada said.

"I've never been afraid of them." Stacey said.

"It's not just them you have to worry about now." Vada said and Stacey raised her brow.

"You're referring to your boyfriend, Davide Peroni, aren't you?" Stacey asked with a smile.

"You know I waited such a long time for an opportunity- a chance to get to them and after a while I realized that I couldn't, I couldn't get to your parents. So I started watching their kids- I feel like I practically watched you guys grow up... Auntie Stacey." Stacey said with a chuckle.

Vada didn't say anything.

"At first I thought the key was your sister but then you gave me the perfect opportunity. I mean- you just walked into it. Lying to your parents, sneaking off time and again." Stacey said.

"You've been watching me this whole time?" Vada asked incredulously.

"Oh yes, but before you were either always with Davide or you were in New York, where I couldn't touch you." Stacey said with a sigh.

"Tell me, what in the world makes a society girl like you decide to work in a strip club?" Stacey asked.

"Love." Vada answered honestly and Stacey frowned.

"I guess we all do stupid things for love." Stacey said with a shrug. "I got tired of waiting and so I decided I needed to find the weak spots but it's impossible to learn anything about the Peroni family." Stacey said.

Vada wondered if she had learned anything about la famiglia.

"I asked around but no one gave me anything useful- I was seriously about to give up." Stacey said. "Short of waiting in the lobby everyday to see you alone, what could I do? Then luck finally went my way." She laughed excitedly.