Chapter 51

"We shouldn't be here." Nick said, sitting down lazily in a cafe that faced a large city park.

"Why not?" Matt said, a cup in his hand as he took a seat by his brother's side. The two men wore sunglasses and were dressed in business attire- very smart business attire. They had that New York edge that was realistically hard to find anywhere else- even in the city they stuck out like a sore thumb.

People walked by and pretended not to notice but there was a very polished elegance coming from them- the type of elegance achieved from living life leisurely and lavishly. Anyone watching them closely would know that the two were at least millionaires.

The flirty glances didn't surprise them, the woman behind the coffee bar who'd scribbled her number on the receipt either- it was amusing, however. In Manhattan, people were used to seeing men like them who had too much money but in this city... there were few.

"What reason did you give the old man for taking these days off?" Nick asked, smiling at a girl who was watching him with a flirty grin from the next table.

"I didn't." Matt said, shaking his head with a chuckle as he watched Nick teasing the poor girl.

"Don't you think he'll notice when his VP doesn't show up?" Nick asked.

"I suppose he will." Matt said with a shrug. Nick leaned on his arm and brought his glasses down to the bridge of his nose, winking at the girl before sliding them back on and turning to face out onto the street just as his brother was.

"You're mean." Matt said with a smile.

"I'm bored." Nick said.

"That girl is going to think you're actually interested. Wait until she hears you're practically a married man." Matt said. Nick laughed.

"Not quite a married man." Nick said with a sigh, remembering his boyfriend of 3 years now.

"What we need to be focusing on, Nicky, is finding that brat." Matt said, turning the mood serious.

"So, what do you plan to do? Call up Davide Peroni, tell him we're in town and would love to meet up?" Nick said teasing him. Matt was quiet.

"That was pretty much the plan." Matt finally admitted.

"And he'd agree to see us because?" Nick asked.

"Because we're important business associates." Matt responded.

Nick shrugged. It could be plausible.

"And how will that help us find the brat? If the brat is here at all?" Nick asked.

"She's here and if she isn't, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough." Matt said.

"You've led us on a wild goose chase." Nick said lazily.

"Our plans always work themselves out." Matt said.

"Our plans always work out because George is there to be practical." Nick replied.

"Too bad George couldn't come with us." Matt said.

"Excuse me."

Both men turned at the sound of a soft voice.

"I'm sorry for interrupting but I was watching you earlier and wanted to introduce myself." The woman said. Nick smiled, recognizing her as the woman he'd been smiling at.

"No interruption at all." Nick said as they both slipped off their sunglasses.

"Oh god, there's two of you." She said, surprised.