Chapter 37

----

Vada was still- she couldn't see anything, she couldn't move. She opened her eyes and everything was a dark blur... she was conscious only of a loud buzz reverberating in her mind, or was it a ringing?

She felt someone flip her over and she stared up, still as she tried to focus and remember where she was.

"Hold still, little Nicky- Just relax and enjoy."

That was right, Vada remembered. She was laying still on the floor in a shed and she could feel warm tears begin to trickle down her cheeks. She opened her mouth, much too weak to move and shouted but nothing.

Nothing came out and now all she had was a blurred view of a man who was unlacing her corset.

----

Davide walked out into the cool night, immediately frowning. How is it that Vada just walked out here in this weather? He made a mental note to leave a coat by the back door in case any of the girls did need to go out, although he certainly hoped that would not be the case. He had plenty of men on staff to be sending them out on their own.

He looked around, annoyed by his conversation with Chachi. He wasn't going to admit anything. Not yet anyways. She really knew how to push his buttons, in fact, he was so annoyed he'd immediately set out in search of Vada, thinking a little Vada therapy would make it all better.

He faced the duration of the storage room, wondering if she was still out here. The light was on but the door was shut- maybe she'd closed it because she was cold and so he slowly sauntered over, taking off his coat to offer it to her.

"Hold still, I promise you're gonna love it."

Davide was still for less than a second when he heard the voice coming from inside- he immediately burst in.

The first thing he was was Vada, lying still on the floor, her face covered in blood- the next was Armando, who immediately jumped up, his pants unzipped and a knife in his hand.

"Brutto figlio de puttana bastardo." he words were pulled from Davide's lips without him realizing it as he leaped forward.

Armando jumped, moving forward to try to stab Davide but only scraped his arm- fortunately, Davide was fast and immediately followed with a punch that sent Armando back against the crates.

Vada stirred- she could hear Davide yelling but she could hardly move. She opened her eyes, trying to see him but she only caught a glimpse of Armando lunging towards him, and then she heard a crash as both men fell outside and knocked the door wide open.

Davide fell back, Armando over him but he managed to kick the man off and deliver one blow after another to his face.

In the distance, the sound of Davide's escorts running towards him could be heard.

Davide stood, and continued to kick Armando, over and over until one of his escorts finally managed to pull him off.

"I got it. I'm fine!" Davide shouted, asking for the man to release him. "Pick him up and take him to the warehouse. You... call him."

Davide moved back into the shed where Vada was already trying to sit up, a splitting headache. When it looked like she had her balance, she swooned and Davide reached out for her to keep her from falling back.

He held her for a second, kissing her forehead and looking around to find what he'd hit her with, then he saw the blood on the crate and he knew that he'd see a lot more blood before he was satisfied.

-----

"Davide." Matteo said, walking into the warehouse. It was nearly 4 am.

"You're here." Davide said, a cigarette in his hand as he stared out.