Chapter 34

Vada lay in the large, four poster bed, curled up among the pillows, wondering why it was that she was having trouble sleeping. She'd been in the apartment since Wednesday and she found that it always took her a long time before she fell asleep.

She hadn't seen Davide since that night, but he had called her on Friday, reminding her she would need to be ready by 6:30pm the next day.

It was probably close to 4 or 5 before she fell asleep that morning- it must be that she was used to the club hours. She sighed, glancing at the clock- it was near 5pm. She would need to get up and shower soon or she'd never be ready in time.

As Vada stared at herself in the mirror, she wondered what was going on with Davide. One moment he was some cruel tyrant, the next he actually had feelings? She wondered if maybe he had begun to grow bored with having her around, or maybe he'd regretted being so harsh in the first place. Vada shrugged, whatever it was, she didn't care. She'd never forgive him for all he put her through.

She'd been here nearly two months and even though in the last one he'd been surprisingly gentle, she still wouldn't... couldn't forget the way he had treated her in the beginning.

Vada glanced at the clock again while she put on her lipstick. 6:35. He was late she thought, thinking it was unlike him to be late. In fact, he always seemed to be early, an annoying habit. 6:45.

Vada frowned as she glanced at herself in the mirror.

Where was he? If he didn't hurry, she'd start second guessing her outfit. She heard a click and poked her head out into the hall, noticing that the door was opening. Vada shook her head.

"Of course you have a key." She said, walking towards the door but stopping when he finally stepped out from behind it.

Davide really was sinful- so ridiculously, sinfully... handsome.

"Your hair." She said, walking towards him casually and moving her fingers through it. Davide smiled.

"Yeah." He said, watching her reaction.

"You cut it." She said, looking at him. He shrugged.

"It seemed about time." He said. Vada smiled. He'd only left the top grown out and this was slicked back, giving him a very dashing look.

"It suits you." She said, suddenly aware that her fingers were still in his hair. Vada pulled her hand away and turned. "I'll be right back."

Davide watched her as she rushed away, the skirt of her dress flowing softly around her. She really was gorgeous. She was pretty perfect and he couldn't find the words to make sense of it.

It wouldn't be difficult at all for his parents to believe he was into her.

He turned and looked into a mirror in the hall, checking out his hair cut. It had occurred to him yesterday as he shaved that with that long hair he looked as evil as Vada seemed to think he was.

"Let's go?" She asked, closing her bedroom door behind her and moving towards him.

"Let's." He said, grabbing her hand and pulling her along. Vada was startled a bit- was he holding her hand?

She had the distinct inclination to want to yank her hand away but instead, she let it slide, forcing herself to be calm. It was hard- it was hard to hold his hand. She looked down as they walked- they were so big, her hand was almost completely engulfed in it. Could he even feel her hand under his fingers?

She wondered if he'd hold her hand the whole time, she wondered if he'd take it again after getting in the SUV and then she felt a strange annoyance when he didn't reach for it again.