Chapter 19

"Busy?" Nora asked as she moved towards the end of the lawn in the garden, where Vada sat doodling in her notebook.

"Not really. How is everything going?" Vada asked, looking out at the landscapers who were movign about the garden. Nora rolled her eyes.

"Exhausting. I swear, all this for an anniversary party." Nora said and Vada laughed.

"Your 25th anniversary. Aren't you excited?" Vada asked.

"That I've been married to your father for 25 years or that I'm almost 50?" Nora asked.

"I had almost forgotten about that. You look so young." Vada said, looking at her mother.

"Oh stop!" Nora said with a grin.

"I'm being very serious- I hope I can look that way when I'm 50!" Vada said. Nora chuckled.

"I won't look this way for long... do you realize my next big birthday is 60? I shiver when I think about it." Nora said.

"I'm sure you'll be just as gorgeous." Vada said.

"Ha! Even I can't accomplish that. In fact, I'm always secretly wondering when your father's looks will go." Nora said.

"That old man? He's like you. Ageless." Vada said. "My friends are always teasing me about having a hot dad. It's so gross." Nora chuckled.

"I'm sorry, I have to agree with your friends." Nora said, making Vada groan.

"Mom, please." Vada said.

"Sorry. Sorry. " Nora said, watching as Vada once again stared blankly into the distance.

"I know that you said you don't want to talk about it..." Nora began.

"But you want to force me to anyways." Vada said with a sigh. "okay. Spit it out."

"Really? That easy?" Nora said, surprised. Vada had been adamant in her silence ever since she showed up one day, all her things and saying she had no desire to talk about LA. Brian and Nora had argued about it extensively and in the end, Nora realized that it was best not to push her.

"If you weren't always asking me embarrassing questions in front of dad I might be more willing to share." She said.

"Yikes- I knew it was a girl thing. Sorry. I'm used to sharing everything with that man." Nora said.

"Well, Maybe I can't share everything with that man." Vada replied.

"Okay- so, tell me about him." Nora said, scooting a bit closer to Vada. Vada turned to look at her mother, her eyes softened. "or her... because if it's a her, I want you to know that we are 100% supportive of you and..."

"No. Mom, no. there's no her." Vada said. Nora nodded.

"Okay, just checking. So tell me about him." Nora replied.

"You can tell?" She asked. Nora smiled.

"I'm your mother, but more than anything, I've cried a few heartache tears too." Nora said. Vada sighed.

"What do you know? Dad was your first boyfriend and you two were always crazy about each other." Vada muttered unhappily. Nora was silent.

She could either tell Vada the ugly truth or be a little ugly and not tell her daughter what she needed to hear.

"Mom." Vada said.

"Yes honey?" She said, kissing her daughter's forehead.

"Do you think dad knows? That there was a guy." Vada asked. Nora chuckled.