Chapter 35

Vada found herself laughing at almost everything Viviana Peroni said. Everything- the woman was just hilarious.

She saw what Davide was talking about- every few minutes Matteo Peroni would stare at his wife with a come hither look and both Vada and Davide had to pretend like nothing was going on.

"Oh you don't have to say it- it's obvious." Vada said with a grin, looking at Davide.

"It is not obvious." He said.

"It's actually too obvious." Matteo said with a frown and Viviana laughed.

"When Davide was little, Matteo was teasing me about how he'd never be able to get near me again- Davide stuck to me like glue." Viviana said.

"You see? I saw it the moment we walked in- you are such a momma's boy." Vada said, making Matteo burst out laughing.

Davide leaned in close to Vada whispered with a smirk.

"I'll get you for that later."

His voice was low but the blush that came over her face seemed to say it all.

"Am I supposed to feel guilty because I dote on my mother?" Davide said, looking at Viviana with a smile.

"I certainly don't mind." Viviana said, her eyes shining. It was obvious to Vada and Viviana adored her son and that Davide would in fact do anything to keep her happy.

"Growing up, My mother had Matt and Nick constantly fighting for her attention, but it was George who always won." Vada said.

"George?" Davide asked, recognizing the name.

"My sister." Vada said with a secret smile, remembering that Davide had thought this might be her ex.

"That's so sweet. Most little girls cling to their fathers." Viviana said.

"Oh, George and Dad were close, yes but I suppose if you have to find a daddy's girl in the family..." Vada said with a gesture and a smile.

"Of course it's you." Davide said.

"That means, be careful." Matteo said, looking at his son, "I'd hate to be the guy Brian Carlton goes hunting for."

Vada looked at Davide who was frowning at his father.

"Oh, my father looks tough but he's a big softy." Vada said, for some reason trying to sooth Davide.

"Except when it comes to his daughters, I'm sure." Matteo said with a grin, not taking his eyes off of Davide.

As they left the house that night, it occurred to Vada that she was actually a little sad that Matteo and Viviana Peroni weren't really her boyfriend's parents, after all they were extremely likeable people.

The only problem was that she would rather be mauled savagely by lions than to be in any type of relationship with Davide Peroni- right?

She didn't ask any questions when they were taken to Davide's apartment, he'd been quiet the entire way and distant, a total change from when they left. As they went up the stairs and Davide opened the door, she sighed, heading in the direction of the service room, back to being a servant girl. After all, she didn't expect to be allowed in to stay in the apartment, Davide said she could take a break... that was all.

Vada moved to the bed, which was neatly tucked away and removed her jewelry with a sigh, unaware that Davide was standing right behind her.

"Hey." He said, making her turn suddenly. Vada looked up at him, he sure looked big in the tiny room, in fact, he looked good everywhere. BIG, big. He looked big, not good.