Chapter 23

"Nice to see you again." Vada said, extending her hand to shake Davide's. Davide took her hand and brought it to his lips formally, not sure what to say. That wasn't true- he certainly had a lot to say but he just couldn't find the words.

"Mr. Peroni." Vada said quickly, turning towards Matteo.

"Vada- may I say that was an amazing performance?" Matteo said, taking her hand. Vada turned a little red but fortunately no one noticed a she was still exhausted from dancing. Vada looked at Matteo who gave her hand a gentle squeeze before letting her go.

This was certainly the most good looking man she'd ever seen. More so than his photos and more so even than Davide- which she had thought was impossible. It wasn't just that he was handsome, he certainly seemed to have a commanding presence in the room. She gulped, realizing that this was an actual Don, a crime boss... right here, in her house. What would her parents think if they knew?

"Thank you. I love to dance." She said, trying to sound aloof.

"Well then, May I have this dance?" Davide said, making her turn to him wide eyed. Every last instinct and muscle in her body told her to run. Run away, fool, leave! Go!

Still, she wantonly placed her hand in his and nodded, letting him guide her away.

Vada was nervous- understatement of the century. She felt as he put his hand on her waist, bringing he to the correct formal distance as she place one hand on his shoulder. It was bizarre- extremely bizarre. And yet here she was, dancing with Davide Peroni, a man who was surely hating her at this moment. A criminal- a criminal! Who knew what he was capable of? A criminal- a criminal she had run away from!

For heaven's sake what was she thinking? Vada looked around the room, panic beginning to sweep over- she needed to find the nearest exit. Davide gently squeezed Vada's waist and brought her just an inch closer, his eyes on her face.

"Don't even think about it." He said, leaning in to whisper in her ear as if he had read her mind.

They continued to dance in silence, Vada occasionally looking her shoulder to her parents who were now moving about the room, greeting different guests and mingling.

"Vada." She heard Davide say and her eyes darted to him, noting how he stared at her.

"Davide." She said, hoping her voice would sound calm.

"A Carlton?" He said, raising his brow. Vada didn't respond. He snickered.

"A very young Carlton." He said, looking her over.

"I'm 18." She said impulsively, immediately regretting it and looking down. He laughed.

"Oh, wow." He said, moving closer again.

They danced in silence and when the song changed and she would have moved away, he pulled her back for another.

"If you don't let me go, they'll start talking." She said, trying to sound firm.

"I'm sure they'll have a lot to say if they find out what you were up to last month." He said.

"Davide-I'm sorry. I need to explain but please, not here. My family doesn't know anything- at all. I swear, I haven't told them a thing." She said, her eyes pleading.

"What the hell made you think you could leave?" Davide said, squeezing her hand. Vada looked towards it in shock. She had always suspected those hands could inflict as much pain as pleasure.

"You're hurting me." She whispered but he chuckled.

"I'm going to do worse." He said softly. Vada gulped.