Chapter 47

"Come in." Matteo said, putting his papers down and looking towards the door, knowing who it would be.

Vada slipped into the office, looking around at the old fashioned furnishings and thinking it looked every bit as much like a mobster's office. It was like being in a movie.

"Mr. Peroni." She said, moving towards the desk.

"Matteo." he corrected with a smile, "Please sit."

Vada closed the door behind her and moved towards one of the empty chairs and sitting on the edge.

"Security is pretty tight around here." She said, "I mean, with the whole metal detector thing... and signing in. I mean, it's fine... Not a big deal. We have metal detectors at my father's office too. Oh my god, Vada shut up."

Matteo laughed, listening to how she was rambling nervously. He'd sent a car to pick her up at the hotel she was staying in and arranged for her to be brought her as soon as she was ready. He noticed she'd cut her hair again, just above where her shoulders was- this time she looked quite sophisticated as her face was longer and she looked decidedly older. Of course, it had been 5 years... 4 and a half.

"Nervous?" He asked.

"It would be dumb to pretend I wasn't. This... this is your office." She said, and he nodded.

"And the center of our business." He said. "I brought you here instead of meeting you there because I wanted you to see where we live." She lifted a brow.

"But I've seen your home." She said.

"Well, now you see the home of our business." He said and she nodded.

"There's a lot of men here..." She said, "And a lot of men out there."

"Security, like you said, is important." Matteo said.

"Does your wife ever come here?" Vada asked. Matteo nodded.

"She comes to see me often. I find it endearing." Matteo said with a smile.

"So she's in on the business?" Vada asked. Matteo shook his head.

"No, our women never are." He replied. "She comes to see me but she doesn't see or hear what she shouldn't."

Vada nodded, understanding.

"What about Davide?" She finally asked.

"His office is at the very end of the opposite hall." Matteo said. "he's in there now but more than likely not alone. He's been working on something important lately."

Vada was itching to ask about it but instead she bit her lip and kept the questions to herself. She knew that there was something she was not ever going to know about.

"I suppose you want to see him?" Matteo asked.

"Yeah, but I'm afraid he won't want to see me." Vada said. Matteo nodded.

"I'm pretty sure he wants to see you but I don't think he'll allow himself to." Matteo said.

"So then, how am I supposed to get near him if he keeps me away?" Vada asked.

"Are you sure that's what you want? Look at this place, there are secrets everywhere... secrets like the one you saw." Matteo said.

"I'm not scared and I certainly don't care. I care about him, that's why I'm here. I'm going to give it my best shot." Vada said.

"And if Davide were to decide he'd like you to leave..." Matteo began.

"I'll insist. I'll insist until I'm sure he doesn't want me. " Vada said. Matteo nodded.