Chapter 58

"I can't believe you did that." Nick said, staring at his brother who was sitting on the floor next to him.

Matt didn't say anything.

"You were the one that made him promise to stay away." Nick said.

More silence.

"We should have just called the cops... we don't know anything about these people." Nick said.

"Exactly. We don't know anything- they do. If we had called the cops- what would have happened? A missing person isn't a missing person until how many hours? They would never move as fast as Davide will and you know it." Matt said without looking at him.

Nick frowned.

"So what? We just wait?" Nick asked.

"What else can we do?" Matt asked.

"And we're just going to trust him? After everything?" Nick asked.

"You don't get it, do you? We were so adamant that his world wasn't safe for her and it's our world that got her into trouble... It's ironic." Matt said, shaking his head.

Nick was quiet now, glancing at his watch every fifteen seconds.

"I really wish she'd been a boy." Nick said, shaking his head. Both Matt and Nick laughed- They clearly remembered arguing with George over and over about whether the new baby would be a boy or a girl.

Even after Vada was born, they'd tried insisting she was boy but George took every opportunity to point out that she was a sister. It was annoying- George always seemed to get her way.

Matt sighed and they grew silent, the atmosphere again somber.

"She'll be okay, right?" Nick asked. Matt chuckled.

"Yeah, I actually think Davide meant it when he said he'd bring her back." Matt said.

----

"What's going on?" Matteo's voice came through loudly on the phone.

Davide drove quickly- he'd called his escorts and told them to meet him at the address they'd been given. It seemed like there were only 5 or 6 men with the woman.

"Dad- I'm a little bit busy right now." Davide said.

"So I hear- you're about to storm that woman's home. I thought we agreed you'd keep an eye on her. I don't want you bothering her if she hasn't done anything." Matteo said angrily.

"She took her." Davide said, getting caught at a red light. "Damn it." He slammed his hands on the steering wheel.

"She took who?" Matteo asked.

"She took Vada." Davide said.

"How do you know?" Matteo asked.

"It's a long story." The light turned green and Davide sped off again.

"Do you want me to meet you there?" Matteo asked.

"No- I'm going in and out quickly. She doesn't have much men and I don't want to make them nervous." Davide replied.

"I want you to call me when you have her." Matteo said.

"Okay." Davide said, hanging up the phone as he pulled up just a block away.

He turned off his engine and looked around, immediately spotting the man who pretended to read the newspaper casually at the door step.

He looked around- his men were still not here but across the street on the roof, he recognized the man he had trailing Ysenia all week.