Five

Monday morning. Another day of eliciting stares and grimaces from people. How lovely.

Sasha dressed in her normal school getup: skinny jeans, shirt, and sneakers. She selected a random scarf and the new sunglasses her dad her bought her and put them in her bag. It was against the school rules to wear hats, sunglasses and random accessories like that into the classes so through out the school day, she had to be exposed.

She was used to it already - but she was tired of it as well. Sometimes, just to make herself laugh, she would make faces at someone that stared at her for too long. Priceless.

After a series of endless classes, Sasha fast walked to her arts class, the only class she enjoyed. That was her talent. Art. The ability to make things beautiful. She could design clothes, do artistic makeup and even decorate anywhere. It was something Mrs Foster had noticed and was happy to help her develop it.

That day, they were asked to paint what inspired them. It was their project for the week so she would have enough time to discover something inspirational.

As she walked out of the class, Jeremy fell into step beside her. She was so startled, she dropped her art supplies and paint brushes scattered everywhere.

"Shit, I'm sorry" Jeremy said bending over to pick them up. His entrance had supposed to be smooth and savvy but what a flop it turned out to be.

"Yeah, you'd better be" she mumbled under her breath as she struggled to find any leftover brushes. Those bastards were always getting missing.

When all the brushes had been picked successfully, Sasha looked at him, squarely in the eyes. "What. Do. You. Want."

He squashed his grimace. Her face was so mismatched. When she spoke he could see bits of spittle flying out since she couldn't close her mouth well.

He forced himself to see the good side of it. Her teeth were really white. That green eye was really lovely - if you ignored the other shriveled one. He wondered if she could see out of it. Her hair was nice too. And she had flawless skin. He could work with that.

"Uh... I just wondered if you'd like to talk. Over ice cream or something."

"Talk about what?" She asked. She looked at her watch impatiently.

"Everything?"

She just shook her head. "I'm sorry but I have no idea what you want from me. 16 years and you start talking to me now? Lol."

She started walking away, taking long strides. He fell into step beside her easily. His mere presence made people look at who he was talking to and then their eyes would widen when they saw Sasha.

"I'll tell you what I want, but only over the ice cream."

"Or something." She added. He laughed at the quip.

"Fine, whatever. Sooner you tell me, sooner you leave. Only one rule though."

"What?" He asked, genuinely curious. He was focusing on not letting any disgust show through his eyes. The longer he spoke to her, the easier it was to overlook the lopsided features.

"You're paying."

"No problem. So that's a yes?"

She nodded.

"I'll text you the details. Shoot, I don't have your number."

Sighing, she obliged. Why was he doing this?

"Thanks. See ya!" He called out and hurried away.

She could feel people looking at her curiously as she opened her locker to drop the supplies.
Why? Why? Why?

She couldn't understand. Why was he going out of his way to be friendly with her? It was beyond confusing and bordering on frustrating.
She soothed her curiosity by muttering "Well then, Sasha, let's see where this goes."