Thirty Four

Jeremy made it a point to hold Sasha's hand tightly in his when they got to school the next day. He walked her to every class and set so many tongues wagging. It was as clear as day that they were in a relationship, especially when he kissed her lightly on the lips when school was almost over.

More importantly, he had found a very capable campaign manager, a freshman named Cassidy. She had a serious fit of hero worship for him and hadn't found it difficult at all to organize for posters and banners. Already, he had spotted some eight graders handing out fliers of him, all thanks to Cassidy.

Even Tony seemed to back off. All through the day, he made no jabs at Jeremy for dating Sasha. In fact, he was suspiciously well behaved.

Jeremy let himself calm down enough to actually enjoy the time with Sasha. She was proving to be one of the brightest features of his day. He didn't feel the usual pressure to impress others with his relationship. Everything he did felt natural. It also helped that she wasn't a whiny bitch like Cara. Her jokes made him laugh, her laugh made him smile and her smile made him happy and fulfilled.

He still rejected the idea of actually liking her. In his head, they were just friends with benefits. He really loved being her friend. And he was fine with being her boyfriend. But he wanted to see how it would turn out when the two weeks were up.

The only fly in the ointment was his parents return. He could already foresee the problems with them showing up. First, there was the sky painting on the ceiling. Then there would be an inquiry as to why he had spent such a ridiculous amount of money in their absence. Then there was Sasha, of course. They would never approve of their relationship as friends much less as a couple. He was dreading that face off.

His parents were superficial. They cared a lot about keeping up appearances. The same way he cared about his empire in school. They would FREAK at the sight of Sasha and freak some more at the sight of his room. Especially his mom.

He kept up the appearance of all being well, all day, but those thoughts churned at the back of his mind. He was worried. Worried about what may happen. Worried about how Sasha may take it. He couldn't even make himself tell her that his parents were going to show up tomorrow. He was exhausted by the pretense.

Which is why he told Sasha to stay over at her place that day. He didn't want to face anything. He just wanted to lie down and sleep the rest of the day away.

"Something's wrong, isn't it?" Sasha guessed, as he dropped her off at her house.

She could see that something was bothering him even if he hid it so well. It was clear because of the panicky way he drove and the constant rubbing of his lower jaw.

"No, I'm cool. Bye!" He practically pushed her out of the car, slammed the door and drove away like a pack of hounds was on his tail. Sasha would have laughed if she wasn't so worried.

She still had her own problems to face at home.

"So you're a couple now, huh?" Solomon spat out sourly, once she entered the living room.

"Oh not this again!"

"He's full of crap! I can tell, Sasha I know these things! Break up with him now before he breaks your heart."

Sasha rolled her eyes and plopped onto the couch. She reached for the tv remote but he snatched it from her grasp.

"Seriously Sasha! Why won't you listen to me?!" Solomon nearly shouted. His fists were squeezed at his side and he looked about ready to cry.

"'Cause you're being biased."

"I'm trying to protect you!"