Forty

Important chapter!!!

Sasha was beyond cold. Her hands and teeth refused to stop clattering and she could feel sweat dotting her skin. Her eyes weren't registering anything or anyone at the moment. Her ears weren't hearing sounds at all. It was like she was in a nice daze where all she was aware of was how cold it was and also the flashes of pain from her injuries.

She didn't know it but she was in the hospital, sitting up on the hospital bed as the nurses tried to pry her fingers apart so they could clean her palm injuries. The scratches weren't deep but they were really painful and it would be a while before she would be able to open and close her fists with comfort. Her knees were raw and bloody but the nurses had already handled them so they were nicely covered up with gauze and plaster.

She had picked the wrong day to wear shorts.

The nurses finally opened her tightly closed fists and called in a doctor.
There was really nothing wrong with Sasha on the outside. She was simply in shock. Clammy skin, unfocused eyes, strained breathing.

It didn't help that the doctor had no idea who he was treating. She had no ID on her and her boyfriend was too incapacitated to be of any help so he needed her to come around so he could start calling parents and the likes.

In general, Dr Franklin was having a hard day.

The police wanted to know what was going on he just couldn't provide that sort of information without them telling him. Their phones were password protected so it was impossible to get the necessary info without invading their privacy.

The nurses wrapped Sasha in two thick blankets and left her to get warm. There were more people with more serious wounds to take care of.

After about 30 minutes, Sasha woke up from her shock trance. It took her a while to remember what had happened but once she did, the tears came again.

She found her phone on the bed beside her and immediately called her mom.

"Mo-om?" Her voice quavered slightly.

"Hey Darling. It's getting pretty late. How's your date with Jeremy going?"

"Mom, there was an accident." She let out a choked sob.

There was a brief silence at the end of the line.

"Where are you? Are you hurt?" Mrs Stewart's voice had a panicky edge to it all.

"N-no I'm fine. J-Jeremy isn't. I'm at the hospital. Everything was going so well then the car from nowhere-"

"Shhh. Calm down baby, I'm on my way. Central hospital right?"

"I'm not sure... I called 911. Mom... he saved me."

"Don't you worry sweet heart. Just stay calm and wait for me. Go talk to the doctor if you can."

"Yes Mom" Sasha managed as tears flooded her eyes again. Her knees and palms were bandaged tightly. It made it hard to move without causing flares of pain but Sasha stood up and drew back the curtain that separated her from other patients.

Doctors and nurses buzzed by her busily, some with blood on their coats and others with clipboards in hand. No one gave her a second look. Apparently if she could get up, she was fine.

She stood there for a few minutes before one of her nurses noticed her.

"You're awake! How are you feeling?"