Forty One

"You ugly bitch!" Lisa repeated, pointing a slender finger at Sasha and narrowing her eyes.
"This is all your fault! If anything happens to Jeremy, I swear to God, you'll wish you'd never been born."

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't speak to my daughter that way." Mrs Stewart said, getting up and blocking Sasha from view. Her eyes were flaming with anger but her voice came out soft and proper.

"You're the mother of that thing! I am so sor-"

"Lisa!" Harley said sharply, pulling her away from Mrs Stewart.

"What Harley?! You know it's all that ugly bitch's fault."

Harley sent an apologetic look over to Sasha and family before herding Lisa down the hallway. Her voice could still be heard, raining expletives upon Sasha's head.

"Well, I'm guessing that was Jeremy's mother." Mrs Stewart said as she sat. Her mouth was tight with anger. So was Solomon's. At that moment, they looked so alike.

Sasha nodded. Even if she knew it wasn't exactly true, tears still formed at the corner of her eyes and she rubbed them away quickly.

Her mother noticed. "Okay, I am going to whoop that woman's ass if it'll make you feel better." She stood and looked at Sasha for permission.

Sasha giggled through the tears. "No Mom. Just because she was immature doesn't mean you have to be too."

"You sure? Cuz I still haven't stopped my kick boxing classes every Wednesday and Friday. One punch and she's out for the count." She produced a Kleenex from her bag and handed it to Sasha.

Solomon laughed loudly. "Don't worry, Mom. If she comes back here and doesn't watch her tongue then we'll deal with her." He cracked his knuckles.

"Manly men don't crack their knuckles." Sasha teased to cheer herself up.

"Du-uh yeah they do!"

"I never saw The Terminator crack his knuckles."

"He did it behind the scenes!"

"Sasha stop teasing your brother when we are in the hospital waiting to hear news about your boyfriend." Mrs Stewart intoned in a bored voice.

"Which reminds me. Where's dad?"

"He had to do an office thing today. I didn't want to bother him in case it wasn't serious."

Sasha nodded and continued her sketch.

The doctor walked out of the room and Sasha rushed to him.

"How is he?"

"Family sensitive information only, I'm sorry."

"But I'm his girlfriend!"

The man looked her over and said slowly "I highly doubt that."

Sasha felt her jaw drop open. The doctor walked away towards Lisa and Harley in the hallway. She stood there, feeling something heavy in her heart. He didn't believe her because she was fugly. Fugly girls don't date beautiful guys. It's one of the biggest rules in life. Now life had paid her back for attempting to break its rules.

She shut her mouth with an audible click and went back to sit down.

"What'd he say?" Solomon asked.

"Nothing important" She replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When the doctor said whatever it is he had to say, Lisa burst into tears, clutching Harley for support. Even Harley turned a bit whiter.

When the doctor left, Sasha stood and walked up to them. She wasn't about to be intimidated yet again because she was ugly. She was already sick and tired of it all and she silently dared the Coxs to maltreat her.

"Is he going to be okay?" She asked, clutching her hands together.

Lisa ignored her and continued to weep.

"He has couple of broken bones and a concussion but he'll be okay." Harley said.

"Then why is she crying like that?"

"He fractured his leg pretty badly. The doctor's not sure he'll be able to play much sports again."

"Oh" She went back to her seat and relayed the information to Solomon and her Mom.

She didn't feel like it was such a big deal. Jeremy had never expressed much interest in his sports choices around her. They were things he had to do to stay on top so surely he wouldn't miss them that much.

Doctor burst in again. "He's awake for now. Would you like to see him?"

Everyone jumped to attention but only Lisa and Harley entered the room.
The rest of them settled back down into their seats.
After a while, Lisa and Harley came back outside. Lisa had a triumphant look on her face.

"How is he? Is he okay?" Sasha asked.

"Yes, he's going to be fine."

"Can I see him?"

"Nope. He expressly said he doesn't want to see the ugly bitch named Sasha Stewart." Lisa said, snidely.

"Okay that is IT!" Mrs Stewart said, pushing Lisa Cox hard and banging her head against the wall. Lisa squealed and called to Harley for support but one glance at Mrs Stewart's face stopped him in his tracks.

"Deal with it yourself, honey!" He called out, before sitting on one of the chairs.

Lisa squealed and struggled some more as Mrs Stewart threatened to beat her to within an inch of her life with a make up kit.

Meanwhile, Sasha stood frozen. Jeremy didn't want to see her. He didn't want to see her. Why???? Lisa had to be lying.
She turned and looked at the door to his room. No one was paying attention to it or her. They were all looking at the cat fight going on.

She slipped into Jeremy's hospital room. It was cool and sterile. Jeremy was propped up on the bed. There was a cast on his right leg, a neck brace and a bulky bandage round his ribs. His face was very pale and swollen red with bruises and stitches. Sasha didn't know what to say or what to do so she just stood there looking at him.

After a while, he groaned and opened his swollen eyes. When he noticed her, he physically recoiled. The heart monitor increased its beeps to show that he was panicked.

"I don't want to see you!! " He muttered in a croaking voice.

"Jeremy -"

"I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU!!!" He yelled in a hoarse voice.

Sasha felt tears pool into her eyes as he continued yelling that she should leave.

The door opened and next thing she knew, she was being dragged out of the room.

When she saw her mom she rushed to her and continued to cry bitterly. She was amazed by the amount of tears she'd shed in one day. When would she dry out?

"Shhh, it's okay, Sasha." She stroked her hair and back.

"I want to go home. Please can we go home?!" Sasha sobbed.

"You sure?"

"Y-yes!"

Sasha went home. And she wasn't going to come back to that hospital.