Nineteen

Detention was SUCH a bore.

Sasha played with her fingers, played with her shirt, played with the stray string on her long shorts and even braided her hair into pigtails.
The lack of activity was driving her crazy.

Her teacher, Mr Ray, didn't even glance at her once for the entire hour. His hands and eyes were glued to his phone where he was looking through his Facebook.

She was the only person having detention on a Friday afternoon. She began to daydream about the things she could have done with this time.

When the hour was finally up, she rushed to her locker and extracted Jeremy's portrait. She was going to finish it from memory, not willing to spend time in his confusing company.

It was when she reached the school parking lot that she realized she didn't have a ride home. Sylvie had dropped her off at school and was probably already in the company of friends.

The distance from her house to school was more than a 30 minute walk. She wasn't willing to walk with a heavy backpack on her shoulders and a painting in hand.

The school wasn't totally empty yet as people were going from their various after school activities but she already knew that no one would drop her off home because she was irritating to look at.

What to do, what to do.

She texted Sylvie.
Where are you?
She waited ten minutes for a reply but none came.

Next she texted Solomon.
Is Sylvie home?
His reply was instant.

No. What do u need her for?

Need a ride home from school. Got detention.

Ur really becoming wild. 1st a fight, now detention!

Just help me out. Can't walk all the way back!

No help here. Mom and dad are still at work. Yes. He's been unsuspended.

Sasha groaned and resisted the urge to smash her phone on the stone ground.

She texted Jeremy too. No reply. This time she stamped her foot and cursed herself for having so few friends.

"Is there a problem?" A deep voice asked.
Sasha turned slowly. It was Desmond, one of the popular people that never have time for lowly deformed girls.

"No, everything's peachy." She said. Her voice came out more annoyed than it ought to be.

He looked over her slowly. Somewhere in his eyes, she could see he was calculating. And he was also disgusted. His light brown eyes showed that much.

She turned away and began the long walk towards her house. It still kind of hurt to be looked at like that but she sure as hell wasn't going to wait for him to tell her shit at his own time.

"Hey, you need a ride home?" He called out after her.

"No! I'm perfectly capable of walking!" She replied. She kept up her pace, when all she wanted was to jump right into the car and avoid the stress of walking home on a sweltering day.

She increased her pace. When he was out of sight, she dug into her backpack and pulled out a cap, sunglasses and scarf.

When she finally made it home, she was saturated with sweat. And really pissed off.
Even Malory couldn't cheer her up and had to run away, tail between her legs when Sasha snapped at her.