Seventeen

Warning: long chapter ahead 😃😃 I expect to see some comments 😊😉😉

Sasha frowned at the canvas.

Jeremy was in front of her, backing an amazing view of the deep blue lake. It set off his deep blue eyes and made it hard for her to concentrate on what she doing. Could he not look so handsome?

She mixed the paints and started with the background first. That was easier for her.
She poked her head out to see Jeremy again. He was gazing away into the distance, his hand propping up his chin. He was wearing a light grey tank top that showed off his tanned skin and muscled arms.
His hair was perfectly tousled and his light beard was well shaped. He looked so calm and thoughtful.

Sasha tried to suppress her annoyance at it all. Why did he have to look amazing when she didn't?
She was annoyed with herself for thinking that way. Thoughts like those never led to anything productive her mom always said. Growing up in a house full of beautiful people was hard enough - now her only friend was beautiful too.

It's like a curse, she muttered under her breath.
Lightly, she sketched the outline of his face and shoulders, taking care to create room for extra depth and shading.

As she worked, her mind went back to how he had kissed her cheek. Her grip on the charcoal pencil tightened. She could not comprehend why he would do it. Was he still trying to be her boyfriend? Did she want him to be?

Shaking her head clear of all those thoughts, she focused on getting the proportions right. There was nothing she hated more than inaccurate proportions in a painting.

"How's it going along?"
Sasha rolled her eyes and glanced at him. He had stopped gazing away and was now playing with the dirt with his Nikes.

"When it's ready, I'll tell you it's ready."
He sighed loudly and pulled out his phone. Sasha silently counted to 10 and continued the painting.

Time seemed to blur as she lost herself in the painting.
Before long, the light began to fade as the sun set. She paused in her work to appreciate how the lake changed from deep blue to a glinting red-gold. The sight filled her with something she couldn't identify so she took a few pictures of it, whilst committing it to memory.

Jeremy knew the sunset was beautiful, but he couldn't take his eyes off Sasha. She had stepped out from behind the easel, eyes fixed on the horizon, looking as if she was in a deep trance. The look of awe on her face made him strangely breathless. He could clearly see how much she appreciated the beauty of it all.

It's nice that she still sees other things as beautiful and can create beauty even if she isn't beautiful.

The thought came to him as he watched her take pictures like a hypnotized person. Her hair reflected the light perfectly, shining like burnished gold. He liked it.

When the sunset began to fade, Sasha snapped out of her reverie and began to pack up.
"It's getting late." She explained as she hurriedly stuffed things into her bag.
He shrugged and took a look at the unfinished painting.

It was already beginning to be beautiful. He cross examined it as she walked around, searching the ground for any stray brushes. He appreciated the fact that she no longer wore her sunglasses and the scarf when they were alone. It made him feel like he was part of her inner sanctum now. He liked being part of a friendship where the other half wasn't trying to over throw him. It was... Refreshing.

"Are you coming or what?"
Her sarcastic voice brought him back to earth quickly and he carried the easel and the canvas gently, the way she had shown him before.