Fifty Two

Ten seconds.

For ten seconds she would allow herself to feast on the magnificence that was Jeremy Harley Cox. After ten seconds, regardless of what he had to say, she would leave. She just need ten seconds to look at him. Just look.

When he sat beside her, it seemed the world was moving in slow motion. For a second, his face was in profile and she just marveled at how lovely he looked.

1
His skin was smooth and taut, light beard perfectly trimmed, lips pink and plump and hair... hair messed up as always. Even his ears looked good.

Sasha's mouth was still open in awe and she was grateful he couldn't read her expression. This is what she'd been waiting for since. And now that he was here, she was still shell shocked.

2
He turned to face her. His eyes were impossibly blue and framed by his thick black lashes. He opened his mouth to speak and closed it again.
Did it again. And then he smiled nervously at her, while rubbing his face with two hands. For a second, Sasha wondered why he never got zits with the amount of time he spent touching his face.

6
The silent countdown panicked her. There wasn't enough time. There wasn't enough time to commit his face to memory so that she would lay back in bed and fantasize about how she would kiss him or kill him. It wasn't enough!

"Uhhh... Hi." He said, nervously. His deep voice was smooth, exactly as she remembered it. This was the side of Jeremy she liked so much. The one that was nervous and shy like a human being. The one that showed his insecurities and made her feel like she had something in common with him. Not the one that was insanely confident and cocky.

10

Without a word, Sasha got up and started walking away.

Jeremy's jaw dropped. She was leaving? He'd already said something wrong. Hell, he wasn't going to let her go that easily. Not after the weeks spent stalking her.

He followed and caught up to her.

"Sasha, I'm sorry. Please can we talk?"

She still didn't reply. In fact, she kept on walking like no one was talking to her. She was ignoring him!

"Sasha!"

No reply.

Frustrated, he grabbed her hand and pulled her back towards him. Immediately he felt a thrill run through his body  just from having her soft hand in his. This was part of what he'd missed. Just holding hands and being near her.

She stumbled into him but twisted her hand out sharply from his grasp whilst slapping the offending hand away.

"Sasha please just talk to me!" He pleaded.

"There is nothing to say." She replied, taking a step away from him. She wasn't running away though, so that was an improvement. She kept the hand he'd held pressed against her chest with the other one holding it, as if his touch had burned her.

"Well, I have loads to say. I'm sorry. For everything."

She laughed wryly. "Sorry doesn't fix everything, Jeremy."

"I know. And I'm going to make it up to you. I swear I will. If you'll let me." He took a step closer to her, just wanting to be near her and feel the comfort of her presence. It felt like a blow when she took, not one, but two steps back to get away from him.

"Jeremy Harley Cox!" She spat the name out at him, like it was an expletive. "I don't want to have anything to do with you anymore. You're a toxic, wicked and heartless human being. Just let me put my life back together again in peace!"