Thirty Eight

This is just a bonus chapter that came to mind and I can't seem to ignore it 😁 enjoy!

"You know, I think today is my all time favorite day in my life." Sasha sighed contentedly as she leaned against Jeremy's chest, watching the sunset sparkle over the lake. He was behind her, his arms caging her as they held on to the railing.

They were at Skylark Plaza, a place that was simple, and yet beautiful in an understated way. Benches ran along the side walk with very green grass peaking up through the gravel. It was just perfect.

"You know, this reminds me of something totally unrelated." Jeremy said, in a laughing voice. His chest rumbled against her back as he spoke and she savored the feeling.

"What?"

"You wait, little girl, on an empty stage
For fate to turn the light on
Your life, little girl, is an empty page
That men will want to write on"

He sang softly. His voice wasn't horrible. He could hold a key, maybe even make a mini career out of singing. But he didn't sing often and he was a bit rusty. But he felt the urge to sing at THIS sunset with THIS girl. His girl.

"No. No. You have got to be kidding me!"

"Hey, you can't say you don't know that song! Everyone on earth has watched sound of music at least 3 times!"

He nuzzled her neck with his nose, taking in the soft, feminine scent.

She laughed and shrugged him off, sitting on a bench and playfully crossing her legs. She felt alive suddenly as she waited for him to continue. Her heart sped up when he turned around and gave her the charming smile that sent her reeling inside. The sunset was behind him, highlighting his beautiful features. It was the perfect play of light and shadow, silver and gold. She took a mental picture right then, intending to paint it later, if ever.

"You are sixteen going on seventeen
Baby, it's time to think
Better beware, be canny and careful
Baby, you're on the brink

You are sixteen going on seventeen
Fellows will fall in line
Eager young lads and rogues and cads
Will offer you food and wine

Totally unprepared are you
To face a world of men
Timid and shy and scared are you
Of things beyond your kin

You need someone older and wiser
Telling you what to do
I am seventeen going on eighteen
I'll take care of you!"

He serenaded her, grinning madly as he did the familiar routine, jumping from bench to bench till he was in front of her. He kissed her forehead gently then waited for her to take over.

"No. I am not going to sing that song. How do you even know all the lyrics anyway?" She asked, flustered by his nearness.

"Just part of my charm, I guess" he tapped his nose, knowingly.

Sasha had to grin at his theatrics. That song was her absolute favorite in the entire Sound of Music. There was something beautiful and innocent about the way they had danced, the way they had sung and the entire situation. Sure she didn't appreciate Liesl's apparent disregard for all things feminist but there was still something special about a guy taking care of you. She knew all the lyrics by heart.

She crossed her arms as he continued to hum, like he knew she knew the song.

Fine.