Fifty Four

Pic of Sasha's painting

Sasha spluttered on the glass of chilled lemonade she had just put in her mouth. Her mouth dropped open in shock as she read the email once again.

She was in the kitchen enjoying a lazy day. Solomon was stationed in the living room with her dad. Sylvie was helping her mom make a picnic lunch and Sasha had been sitting around sketching in her notepad. The sight of the email was shocking and she felt hope rear his head.

"M-mom?!" She croaked.

"Yes darling?" She replied, paying attention to the thickness of the tomatoes Sylvie was slicing.

"Read this..." She handed her phone to her mother. Mrs Stewart's eyes roved over the email and widened in shock. Sylvie had already stopped slicing and was peeping over her shoulder.

"Wow. Could this be real?" Mrs Stewart asked, wiping her hands on her apron nervously.

Sasha shrugged, her heart racing.

"Maybe we should call the number here. And ask if it's a practical joke. Before getting all excited." Sasha suggested, trying to keep calm.

"Forward it to your father. Let him see."

Sasha did as she was told. Her fingers shook slightly as she completed the simple task. Almost immediately, both Solomon and her father were in the kitchen.

"I just read this. What?" His voice was incredulous.

"I know! This is... this is impossible!" Her mother replied. She tugged at her dark hair for a few seconds before putting a hand on Sasha's shoulder.

When Sasha had been born, her face had come up nearly a mishmash of features. Nobody could understand what sort of genetic malformation it was. It seemed to be a combination of more than 5 classified genetic mutations. She'd undergone surgeries periodically ever since, in a bid to gradually get her face to a normal position but everything had to stop when she was seven. Her parents couldn't keep up with the medical bills.

No doctor was able to give her a proper diagnosis and since the mutation wasn't life threatening, she had to leave it at that. For a while, many doctors had come to her parents, wanting to do research on Sasha and so many experimental surgeries but they had refused. She was already heavily damaged and suffering almost day from the pain of her surgeries. They were tired of putting her through such grueling experiences and felt that maybe when she was older, she would make the decisions by herself. By the time she turned ten, the interest had waned.

This was why Sasha spent her time saving up money for her surgeries. She knew she needed at least $500,000 so that at least she would be able to keep up with the various surgeries necessary for a few years. She didn't want to start and stop halfway.

Now, Sasha stared at the email on her phone. Apparently, Dr Michelle Herring, a world class surgeon with specialties in genetic mutation correction was interested in her. The email was simple and read:

Dear Miss Sasha Stewart,

It's an honor to write to you today seeing as you have developed into quite a unique lady. It has come to my attention that you were born with certain genetic mutations and after looking through your file, I feel like with a few tests, we will be able to properly diagnose and correct the mutations. Cost is not an issue as this is a personal quest of mine.

If you are interested, feel free to call me on my private number which is listed in the header of this page, at anytime of your convenience. I will be very interested in helping you as much I can.
I look forward to hearing from you.