Chapter 2: Caring

Not but minutes later, Sebastian arrived at the front door of the manor. The girl seemed to have fallen asleep, so he had taken the chance to use his 'shortcuts' to get them home (which consisted of running across rooftops and trees).

"Bard," Sebastian called as he entered the backdoor of the mansion.

The cook responded to the butler's call immediately and bounded down the hall towards him.

"Ya, what is it, Seb—" he stopped dead in his tracks upon seeing the collapsed maiden in his arms. "Who is...?"

"Never mind that," Sebastian answered with a bit of a snap in his voice. "Start a fire. She needs warmth."

Bard only stared at him in shock for a moment. He then shrugged, proceeding to pull out his flame thrower.

"I really don't see how this is a good idea, but I guess if you tell me to—"

"I meant in the fireplace," Sebastian growled.

"Oh, right, of course!" Bard laughed nervously as he hid his weapon behind his back and began running up the stairs to the guest bedroom. Sebastian followed behind him.

Once they were in the spare room, Bard shut the door as Sebastian laid the girl on the fresh, silky sheets of the bed. Mey-Rin and Finny came down the hall as soon as Bard had gotten the fire going (without catastrophe, surprisingly). The two servants paused when they saw Sebastian standing next to the unconscious stranger girl.

"Sebastian, who is this?" Finny asked in a worried tone upon seeing the condition she was in, rushing to his side to get a better look at her.

"She looks awfully sick!" Mey-Rin said in her shrill voice.

"I'm honestly not sure about her identity yet, but that doesn't matter much right now," Sebastian told them, straightening his posture. "Mey-Rin, she needs fresh clothes. Finny, she has a fever and a cough. You know what to do."

The two nodded in response. "Yes sir, right away!" They spoke in unison, running off in different directions to fetch their assigned items.

After they left, Sebastian pulled a chair next to the fire, then laid her in it so she could be closer to the source of heat. He conversed silently with himself as he brushed a strand of hair out of her face. She laid her head against his hand in her sleep. Sebastian's mouth hung open slightly in a frown. There was something he couldn't understand about his actions in this situation.

The fire warmed her up very quickly, enough to make her violent shivering cease. Soon, Mey-Rin and Finny returned with the items Sebastian requested. The maid laid out one of her white silk nightgowns on the guest bed. Finny brought a tray with a lemon juice, honey, and warm water with a cloth on the side.

"Thank you, both, this will do nicely," Sebastian nodded, dismissing them. He inspected the dress for a moment, then looked to the sleeping girl in the recliner.

"We must get her out of those clothes... Having no handmaid is a pain sometimes. I guess I'll just have to go with the alternative..." he sighed as he slipped off his tie, wrapping it around his eyes to act as a blindfold. Without struggle, he took the dress from the bed. Seconds later, the girl was in a fresh change of clothes. "There we are," he smiled, smoothing her hair a bit.

Suddenly, the door creaked open. Ciel stepped in with little to no warning, staring when he saw Sebastian standing by an unknown girl's side. Her fair features were illuminated with the dancing gold light of the flames, while they made the butler's into a dark silhouette.

"What are you doing here?" he asked a bit coldly. "I didn't expect you back for at least another hour. And who is she?"

"Master," Sebastian rose, bowing. "Forgive me. I finished the investigation early and I met her on the street on my way back. She looked ill, and very weak. I only did what I felt you would want me to do."

In response to what his butler told him, Ciel's stern gaze softened. "I can't say I mind her staying here, since I assume she will not be a burden to me personally. Besides, while she's in this pitiful condition, I'd truly rather her be here than out on the streets..." His tone darkened as he looked back at his butler. "Do you know anything about her, Sebastian?"

"I'm afraid not." Sebastian hung his head as he looked back at the girl. "She collapsed before I even had the chance to ask her name." Sebastian appeared to be frowning as he spoke, but it wasn't his normal bored or disappointed frown. It was something about his eyes narrowing that made it different. Confusion—an emotion few had seen the stoic butler express. "I did however, meet her in the place of investigation. Considering it's a nearly vacant area, there is a chance she may know something useful for this case. In any matter, I'll see that she's taken care of, my lord." His mouth curved into a soft smile. "You won't even know she's here."

Ceil couldn't help but feel curious as to why Sebastian decided she was important enough to spare from death. There was only one life his butler cared for, and it was only because it was to be his sustenance. Still, there was nothing more he could do to find out why now, so he spun on his heels and faced the door. "When she wakes up, bring her to my study. We should figure out who she is and where she belongs."

"Yes, my lord," Sebastian bowed as his master left the room.

~~~~

After waking his master the next morning, Sebastian quietly shut the door behind him and started off down the hall. He briskly walked to the guest room and peaked in the door to find she was still sleeping. Since he had a few seconds, he made his way to her bedside and slipped his glove off, feeling her forehead.

"Still burning up," he sighed as he put the glove back on. He knew having a fever like that could mean infection, and possibly death, but he remained confident it could be broken and she could be cured. "I'll prepare her something to eat in a moment. Hopefully that will bring her back to consciousness..."

He began walking down the halls towards the kitchen. Along the way, he began to hear the murmur of the servants talking in the room. Hearing his name, he stopped just before he rounded the corner to listen.

"...awful concerned about that girl, he does!" Mey-Rin was saying. "And if he's that concerned, it must be really bad!"

"I'm concerned about her, too," Finny's squeaky voice told them. "Last I heard, her fever was awful! And she looks so weak!"

"Oh dear, do you think she'll even be able to get well?" Mey-Rin gasped.

"Hey, under our care, I'm sure of it," Bard consoled them. "She's that way from being out on the streets, ya know. Just give her a day, she'll be up in no time."

"Yes, but what if it's already too late and—"

And that's when Sebastian decided to cut them all off.

"You three," he called, stepping around the corner. The trio gasped in fright simultaneously, the color draining from their faces. "Shouldn't you be working?"

"Ya, ya," Bard laughed nervously. "I was just getting to that! Uh... exactly how long were you—" a glare from the butler cut him off. "Yes sir!" Bard returned to the counter where he was slicing fruit.

He looked to the remaining servants. "That order was for all of you. Go!"

The other two scrambled out of the room.

Sebastian hung his head with a heavy sigh and proceeded to place a pot of tea over the stove.

~~~~