15.3

I woke up.

I found that I had kicked the covers off of me. Chills running up my body from feeling unsafe, I quickly pulled them back.

It's then that I began thinking. What if it was all just a dream? What if there was no massacre the night before? No demon? Perhaps no Serafin, either. But when I looked over to see the engagement ring sitting on my bedside table, reflecting the golden sunlight, I realized that was confirmed.

I rose from the bed, my heart beginning to quicken with anxiety.

"Mrs. Estella," Mey-Rin called. Her voice was a bit of a shock to me. Usually Sebastian was the one to greet me in the morning, but the reason he didn't was obvious. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yes, I think so," I replied as she placed the silver breakfast tray on the edge of the bed. "Do these things... happen often?"

"With the kind of business the master is in, yes, they do..." she told me. "Oh, but you mustn't worry! We always handle them! If we couldn't what kind of servants would we be?"

The last line struck me. My eyes widened for a moment, but then I remembered the way Tanaka told me about them. Obviously, Sebastian was the only demon in that manor... I hoped. I sighed with relief, giving her a war smile. "That's a comfort to me."

~~~~