3.3

"Master," he called. "I've brought her, as you requested."

It was the first time I ever saw him, and he gave a very accurate first impression. He was sitting at a writing desk. He seemed to be rather short—or he had a tall desk, one. He wore a green suit over what I could see of his small figure. An eye patch covered his right eye while the other reflected a deep, sapphire blue color. His dark hair gave off a navy shine from the window behind him.

He gave us a nod as he finished scribbling something on a sheet of paper. When he finally looked up, I realized he was only a boy. He couldn't have been any older than thirteen!

I approached the desk with my head held at a respectable angel—high enough for confidence, low enough to be humble. Sebastian pulled up a chair for me to sit in. I almost felt like I was about to go through an interrogation.

The young master laid his writing utensil on the desk with a sharp click as he met my eyes. The look in them is what convinced me that perhaps he wasn't thirteen at heart.

"It's nice to see you're finally awake," he spoke with a tone similar to the way a teacher might greet a student when they're late to class.

Even though I had learned to mimic people to make a better impression, I was debating on whether or not I should let my friendly smile fade to match him. Eventually, the urge won, and I allowed my mouth to drop from the heavy tension I began to feel in the air. Or maybe it was just me. No, it wasn't me, that kid was just dark.

"I assume you know where you are."

"This is the Phantomhive Manor...?" I answered, only realizing after I had said it that it wasn't a statement to be answered.

"Yes," he folded his hands on his desk, looking down briefly. "And I am the Earl, Ciel Phantomhive."

"Of course," I answered with a nod. "Thank you for seeing to my needs, Lord Phantomhive. I am Estella."

"Do you have a surname?" Ciel asked, narrowing his eyes slightly. I tensed up at the question, looking at the floor as I tried to utter an answer for him. I hadn't gotten to the surname, since I was so excited to have found the first one.

"Master, I don't believe she can recall," Sebastian told him, saving me. I could have sworn I saw Ciel's expression soften out of the corner of my eye.

"Do you remember where you're from?" He tried asking, his tone slightly softer this time.

I relaxed, feeling at ease enough to tell the whole truth. "No, I can hardly remember anything before coming here."

"I see..." Ciel spoke quietly as he stood, facing the window and clasped his hands behind his back. "So you can't remember anything..."

There was a silence in the room as he stared out the window with his back to me. He was deep in thought, obviously, but his emotions were hidden. My heart felt like it turned cold in my chest.

"If you really can't remember, then I guess I have no other choice..." He turned around to reveal a hint of a smile in his eyes. "Until you regain you memory or we locate you family, you will be under our care. I hope you enjoy your stay at the Phantomhive manor, Estella."

"You would do that for me?" I asked, honestly shocked he had obliged to let me stay. "I don't want to be a burden, Lord Phantomhive."

"Well, what else am I to do? Put you back where you were found?" Ciel asked, sounding a little amused. "Your presence here has causes no problems for me, and I have a more than capable butler to take care of you."

I naturally turned to look at Sebastian, who smiled and gave me a nod. "It's no trouble for me at all, really."

I bowed my head, even though I wanted to hug them both. "Thank you so much for helping me in my time of need."

Behind us, the door creaked open.

"Um, Sebastian," the maid called. "She's not in—oh, sorry, I'm not interrupting anything am I?"

"No," Sebastian answered her. "Actually, Mey-Rin, can you show our guest, Estella, back to her room? I'd like to speak with my master in private."

"Oh—um—of course," the maid nodded. I proceeded to follow her out.

~~~~

133%~z_K81{