24.2

"Mother...?" he asked as if in a dream. "Father?"

I gasped, and Sebastian's eyes widened with shock, his mouth slightly open. He was about to say something, but I interrupted.

"What is it?" I replied softly.

"Will you—" his voice cracked. He continued to try to speak, but soon the tears that were choking him rolled down his face, wracking his body with sobs.

What happened next was simply instinct. I took him in my arms and held him, his hands wrapping around my back.

"Will you stay with me?" he finally said in a hoarse whisper.

"Of course," I answered.

"I had a nightmare... a nightmare you were both gone. I... I don't want to ever lose you... promise you won't leave."

"You will never be alone," Sebastian told him, petting his hair. "I can promise you that." He put an arm around us, smiling softly.

Ciel smiled, his cheeks stains with tears. Water began welling up in my own eyes.

Soon, he stopped crying, and I laid him into the bed and pulled the covers over him.

"Stay with me..." he whispered. "At least until I fall asleep."

I looked to Sebastian, and he to me. "Alright," he answered, removing his coat and shoes, then slipping under the covers. I went along and did the same.

Laying there in the bed, warm, with a child and the one I love by my side, was a beautiful feeling, like everything was right. I looked to Sebastian. I expected him to have a usual resting frown on his face, but instead I found him smiling.

I'm not sure when, but for a single moment, I forgot we were acting and allowed my eyes to close, and drifted off into sleep.

~~~~