21.3

Luckily, Sebastian only took me down to the carriage, which we rode into the heart of London. The streets were somewhat calmer at night, but still lively and bustling with people. Another good thing was that Sebastian had given his word to act like an ordinary gentleman for the time we were there. We spent the majority of our time piddling about shops and attractions and so forth. It was a lovely, ideal night for me, but apparently it wasn't yet over by his standards.

I became worried when he led me away from the city streets to the edge of the forest where a towering building stood. When I asked what the point of going there was, he simply replied, "Are you afraid of heights?"

"Uh, yes, very much so," I answered with a hint of a quiver in my voice.

"Then, it may be best if you close your eyes."

As soon as I did, I was—once again—swept up in his arms and we were moving quickly. I don't think I would have looked if it meant my life. I clutched around his neck tightly, huddled against his warmth as the cool air rushed across my body. Without my sight, all I knew of what he was doing was that I had the occasional sensation of falling.

"Are we here?" I asked in a quiet, muffled voice when I heard his shoes land softly against solid ground.

"Yes," he replied. "You can let go now, but I won't object if you don't want to."

I laughed softly as I loosened my grip and he set me in place in front of him. "Where are we?"

He leaned closer slowly, as if he were going to kiss me, but instead swerved his head to whisper in my ear, "Turn around."