29.2

"I killed her."

Ciel gasped in horror, his eyes widening. "She's... dead?" he whispered. "But..." He began screaming at him hysterically. "How!? Why isn't this effecting you at all!? You loved her, didn't you!?"

"I apologize for upsetting you, young master," he said as he kneeled down before him. "She was the last trace of the harmful substance. I've taken countless lives, and this one didn't affect me any more than the others. Also, I'm not exactly sure how to respond to your last question."

Ciel slapped him. "You will answer my questions without dishonesty or hesitation! Now tell me—did you or did you not love her!?"

"I do not remember, so I cannot say," he hung his head shamefully. "But by theory, I did not. It's impossible for my kind to feel the emotion you speak of."

Ciel stepped away from him, shaking. He then turned to Undertaker. "This is your fault! You knew all along this would happen, didn't you!?"

"Need I remind you all I had were theories?" Undertaker spoke with a fading smile, grabbing his arms to steady him. "What happened here was inevitable."

Ciel broke away from his grip, turning away from all of them. Sebastian had loved her, had he not? He said he did, and he cannot lie. Why couldn't he have saved her, somehow rid her blood of the substance? Why couldn't she have stayed with him?

"Young master," Sebastian placed a hand on his shoulder. Ciel wiped his eyes and turned around to face his butler. "It's late. We best be going home now."

Undertaker and Grell went their separate ways for the time being, and Ciel climbed into the carriage for a deathly silent ride back to the manor.

~~~~

ass=mO���}>%