16.4

Since the ball was being hosted by Elizabeth's close friend from Germany, we had planned to stay and finish out the night with her. It was a wonderful party, and I was yet to find myself growing tired. If anything, I had become charged by the festivities and exhilarated by the events of that night. The moon was high, and the stars were lit, and I was glowing with excitement.

And as the night wore on, and the less acquainted guests began to leave, the dances evolved from waltzes to less formal dances such as polkas and gallops. People were hopping and twirling about, gathering in lines and as two at a time made their way down the aisles, clapping, laughing, growing lost and drunken from the festivities. Sebastian and I didn't stop from joining, either. Hardly anyone was there to see, and if they were, we were in masks, so it didn't much matter. We would continue about, nearly floating across the floor as we went.

Elizabeth kept right up with the pace, being such a lively young girl. Ciel, on the other hand, had to catch his breath every few dances.

At one point, we joined a dance in which we switched partners with one other group. We paired with Ciel and Elizabeth, and when it came time to switch, I was able to see firsthand how worn out Ciel really was. He nearly clung to me, losing his balance often. He was embarrassed by it, but I didn't much care, and decided to lead and help him along. Elizabeth and Sebastian were doing alright, despite the major difference of height.

"So, how has the night been going for you?" he finally spoke.

"Wonderful, actually," I smiled. "Thank you for inviting me, and for allowing Sebastian to be my escort."

"It was no trouble at all," he showed the hint of a mysterious smile. "I honestly enjoyed granting the favor."

I was coming to realize that Ciel seemed to have taken to me in a way he didn't to many. I felt a certain pride with this, knowing that I had achieved something others could not, or did not care to. And I knew at that moment that I wanted to continue to feel what I was feeling that night: a sense of belonging and being wanted, a place for myself—though temporary, beautiful all the same.

It was past midnight when Ciel finally tuckered out, along with Elizabeth. We found them along the wall in some chairs, Elizabeth nodding off and Ciel already fast asleep with his head on her shoulder. Sebastian and I smiled at each other upon seeing this.

"I forget that though he is an earl, he is a child," Sebastian sighed as I went to ease them awake, enough to get them up and out the door. Elizabeth said goodbye to us with a sleepy smile before Paula carried her off to her carriage. Sebastian nearly had to do the same with Ciel.

Once we were away from the music and on the way home, I also realized how tired I was, and ended up falling asleep on the seat of the carriage. I'm not sure how I got inside to my bed, but I could guess.

I still remember that as the night that everything changed, that I was awoken to a brand new world of which I could live in chaotic peace, and one of the best times of my life.

~~~~

ST>