8.3

"Elizabeth, why did you bring me here?" I asked with a slight giggle.

"I told you, call me Lizzy!" she replied, turning to smile at me. "Anyway..." Elizabeth clasped her hands, looking down slightly. "First, I apologize for misjudging you. I... I just... suppose I tend to worry for Ciel a lot."

I gave her a compassionate smile. "You shouldn't. He seems like a strong, smart young man."

"But I feel like I hardly know him anymore," she sighed. "He's just so different now."

"Lizzy," I tilted my head ever so slightly as I placed a hand on her arm. "Ciel still cares so much about you. Even if you can't see it in a smile, he shows it through his actions."

She smiled, looking down. "I... I suppose so. I just... I want it to be that way... never mind." She quickly looked back up, her smile changing to a grin. "Anyway, about Sebastian!" I began blushing even before the conversation properly started. "How did you two meet anyway? Was it love at first sight? Come on, I'm mood to hear a cute story!"

"Oh, well, I..." I quickly began searching for a way to say this to her. "I was walking down the street one night. I had lost my coat. Don't ask me how, I have a terrible memory! If you only knew how clumsy I can be—I practically ran right into Sebastian when I rounded a street corner!"

Lizzy giggled, clasping her hands over her mouth. "So, what did you do?"

"I was embarrassed, of course," I put a hand on my red face at the memory. "But he took one look at me and I... I could have sworn his face just lit up!" I looked away from her, out the window at the stars in the early evening sky.

"Aw!" Elizabeth clapped her hands in excitement. "So it was love at first sight!"

I laughed. "I suppose you could call it that. Sebastian then gave me his coat and offered to lead me back to the Phantomhive manor. Being the silly girl I am, I was a bit lost, so I had no other choice. It was a while away, so he insisted on carrying me!"

"How adorable!" she nearly squealed. "So, what did you think of him—when you first met him?"

I shrugged, looking down. "Well, I thought he was handsome. I was surprised at how strong he was when he carried me, considering his slender frame. I do especially remember his eyes, though..." My gaze darkened ever so slightly. "They're... unlike any color I've ever seen. They're such a pure red. And... he's so mysterious at times. I feel like there's something about him I'm missing, or like I know him but I hardly know him at all."

"But he does care about you," she nudged me. I laughed, realizing she was using my own words.

"Yes, he does."

"Lady Elizabeth," Sebastian called as he entered the room with Ciel. The butler appeared to be carrying a large box of some kind. When he set it down, I recognized it as a phonograph. "I've brought the item you requested."

"Oh, wonderful!" She clasped her hands together at her chest.

I watched as Sebastian set up the machine. Soon, it began working and playing a beautiful waltz.

"So, Lizzie, do you want to dance again?" Ciel asked, looking a bit tense.

"Actually, no, I'm still worn out from a ball I went to last night."

Ciel's eyes widened with surprise from her reaction.

"But..." she grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the butler. "You two should!"

"Oh, I—" I began to stutter.

"Go on!" she nearly pushed me into him. "It'll be fun! Besides, I hear he's a wonderful dancer! Right, Sebastian?"

The butler nodded to her, then turned to smile at me. "Well, my lady," he bowed. "May I have this dance?"

Blushing, I curtsied and took his hand. Dancing was almost second nature to me. I had no trouble in remembering what position to be in or how to move. Sebastian seemed to be quite knowledgeable in this art, too. We were in perfect unison, gliding across the floor gracefully—I in a white-laced dress, and he in a black tailcoat.

He really did care a lot about his master to do this, didn't he? He was actually quite clever to come up with a plan so quickly, and humble to follow it. He was leader and a servant at the same time. Yet, he was so secretive and... dark. There was something about him that almost scared me. Yet, simultaneously, I absolutely loved being around him and wanted nothing more than to talk to him.

When I finally built up the courage to look directly at him, I met his eyes. It's then that the thought hit me at last:

I've completely, undeniably fallen for him, haven't I?

My smile widened. My heart began to race. His own smile grew as his hold around my waist almost tightened, or it could have been my imagination. It made me wonder... was he not acting anymore, either?

~~~~

a\