19.4

On the way to returning the kitten to Sebastian's room, I looked up to see a white kitten standing one the ledge of the manor, right outside an open window in higher room. I gasped, taking no time to think as I sprinted inside and ran up the steps. I went to the room with the open window and shut the door, setting the previously rescued kitten on the bed.

I looked out the window to find that the kitten was far out of my reach. I called to it, scratching my nail on the ledge to see if it would come, but it didn't move. "Get over here, please, you're too adorable for natural selection!"

It was shaking as it looked at me, whimpering frantically. I thought about calling Sebastian, but it could fall by then. There was only one thing I could do, and that was climb out to get it. Heights made my stomach shrink into a knot, my vision blur, and my body wrack with fear. But something had to be done, or the kitten could possibly fall. It was still too young to have mastered balance, and one misstep would mean certain death. The consequence was the same for me, except I knew I had exceptional balance. I could very well hug the wall and make my way down the ledge.

I went through a cycle of inching out the window, looking down, going back in, pacing, hearing the kitten, going back out, and so on. In the end, I couldn't let go of my fear. With tears in my eyes, I watched the kitten stumble off the side and fall down to its end. My face went pale and my blood cold as I watched it nearly hit the ground, only to be caught by a certain butler.