Chapter 16.1: The Raven and the Dove

A few hours before the ball, Mey-Rin knocked on my door.

"Mrs. Estella," she called. "Your dress is finished."

"Oh, wonderful," I smiled. "May I see it?"

Mey-Rin stepped into the room, carrying a dress with a large skirt over her shoulder. She laid it out onto the bed, smoothing the wrinkles as I came to inspect it.

"Oh my... it's..." I stuttered.

All I can say was it was clearly not the work of a man.

The material was smooth and silky and the color of—of course—blue stars. The skirt was in long, swooping layers lined with white lace. The torso was decorated with silver embroidery in swirls that reminded me of roses. The sleeves were wide and wing-like. Tiny, star-like gems lined the neck. The matching mask was of silver and lined with pure white feathers, coming to a soft beak-like point in the front.

"Oh, I can't wait to see you in it!"

I giggled. "The dress looks so amazing! Here, help me put it on!"

After a few minutes of struggling with a corset and petticoat, I was finally able to see my ball gown on me.

Mey-Rin nearly squealed with delight. "Why it makes you look like a dove, it does!"

I was silent as I continued to observe the dress, my mind lingering on the word. Dove.

"Estella?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," I sighed. "I was... day dreaming."

It took a while for all the accessories to be applied. Along with the dress, I was given a pair of diamond earrings, white gloves, silver dancing shoes, and a gem-encrusted hair comb.

Mey-Rin worked forever on the hair piece. She claimed to not have much experience with styling hair—especially hair as disobedient as mine. Nevertheless, she eventually got it to do what she wanted without yanking too much of it out of my head.

When I was able to look in the mirror, I found that she had pulled the front two stands into a tall bun where the comb was placed, leaving the rest to hang down my back at full length, curling softly on the ends.

"It looks lovely, Mey-Rin," I told her. "You're very good with hair for someone who hasn't had much practice!"

"Aw, thank you!" she blushed. "Now... all we have left is cosmetics..." she looked worriedly at the make-up that was set out on my dresser.

"Don't worry, I can handle that much," I smiled.

After about twenty minutes, I was adding the final touches when there was a knocking sound.

"Mey-Rin," Sebastian's voice called through the door. "Is she ready? We must be leaving soon."

"She'll be right out!" the maid answered.

I began putting the make-up away, my hands shaking.

"Go on out, I'll clean up," she told me.

"Thank you!" I nodded.

"Have fun!"

I was very nervous about having to meet Sebastian again. I hadn't seen him since that night. He had been very successful avoiding me in the halls, even with as much as I walked around.

To my relief, Sebastian wasn't waiting outside like I expected. I went ahead and made my way down to the main room, and found him waiting with Ciel at the door. I paused for only a moment, my face paling. But there was no turning back at that point. I said nothing, didn't even look at him, as I passed him. He opened the door for me as I stepped into the carriage, and that was the closest he got to me.

Sebastian drove while I sat in the coach with his master. After a long, deadly silence, Ciel spoke.

"You look very nice, Estella."

"Thank you," I smiled. I then noticed that he was wearing a dashing blue ball suit adorned with frills and a hat. "You look handsome, too."

"Did I mention that Sebastian will be your escort for the night?"

My eyes widened slightly. "No, I don't believe you did." I shifted uncomfortably.

"Oh, well then," he shrugged. "It's a masquerade, so no one is likely to recognize him. I hope you don't mind, seeing as how the two of you have become good friends..."

I looked down and cringed inside. That's right, he was my friend. And, well, I suppose I thought of him more than just a friend. But I didn't know what to think of him anymore. I wanted to still love him, but... I was also afraid. Didn't Ciel understand?

I saw the young master's lips twitch up into a little smirk. Of course. He did this on purpose. He did know that I had found out. But why? Did he... actually care about my relationship with his butler? It almost sounded wrong in my head.

Not but minutes later, we arrived at the ball. Sebastian opened the door for us, letting first me, then Ciel, out. I finally looked up at the butler to find that his faked smile had returned.

"Ceeeeeeil!" a high pitch squeal came out of nowhere. A young lady with long blonde pigtails and a rosy pink dress threw her arms around the young master. I couldn't help but notice their clothes were of perfect contrast—the blue of the sky, and the pink of a sunset.

"Hello—Eliza—beth!" he chocked, struggling to maintain his balance and not let them both fall.

"Estella, you came, too!" she giggled, giving me a hug—much less forceful, thankfully. "And hello, Sebastian!"

"Good evening," he bowed to her.

"It's so nice to see you again, Elizabeth," I smiled. "How have you been?"

After the small talk was over, Elizabeth began dragging her fiancé inside. I was left alone with Sebastian. I noticed that he wasn't in his normal butler uniform. His hair was partly combed back to show his face, which was half-hidden by his black feathered mask with a crow-like nose. He wore black trousers, a white frilled shirt, and a long black, unbuttoned tailcoat. A dark burgundy bow replaced the usual necktie.

He continued faking a smile for me as he observed me. "You look lovely, Lady Estella. Is the dress to your liking?"

"Yes," I answered without fully meeting his eyes. "Thank you."

He took a moment to look up at the sky. "Well, my lady," he held out his arm. "May I be your escort for the night?"

"Yes," I answered quietly, knowing I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. I made my own fake smile to cover the conflicting emotions and allowed the demon to lead me into the ball room.

'�ݍ^1~