7.6

"Why are you really staying here, Estella?"

"I... I'm visiting," I tried to tell her. I was too shocked to remember that that alibi would only work if she didn't continue to ask.

"Are you?" she asked. "I think you're trying to get close to Ciel! I saw the way you were looking at him, and the way you act around him. I'm his fiancé, and you can't take him from me!"

"I..." I began to stutter. "I'm not trying to..." I couldn't think of what to say to console her without telling her she was wrong. Sebastian told me not to correct her. What could I do?

I tried to look from her side. Ciel seemed very distant from her, though she seemed to know him well. It couldn't have always been that way, could it? Perhaps they were at a rough spot in their relationship, something that would cause her to think they were far apart enough for him to replace her.

Luckily, Ciel came back into the room with Sebastian by his side. Elizabeth didn't see them at first, so they had time to notice her expression. Ciel's face paled ever so slightly and Sebastian's eyes widened in shock. Luckily, they all regained their poise when Elizabeth noticed their presence.

"I heard your performance, Master," Sebastian found a subject to decrease the awkwardness. "It seems you've improved."

Ciel looked to his fiancé, a soft mysterious smile on his lips. "I believe preforming for Lady Elizabeth gave me a bit of motivation." He was obviously trying to flatter her. She shrugged slightly, blushing.

"By the way," the butler continued. "The gardens look exceptionally gorgeous today. Perhaps you and Lady Elizabeth would like to take a walk through them together?"

"That sounds like a nice activity," Ciel nodded, turning to Elizabeth and holding out his hand. "Would you like to go?"

"Sure," Elizabeth regained her bright smile, grabbing his hand and almost dragging him out of the room in her excitement.

I sighed when she was gone. "I... I don't know what to do," I told him, hanging my head. "She's jealous of me, and I'm not sure what to tell her."

"You're a very likeable person, my lady," Sebastian chuckled, tilting my head up. "But you break when people don't like you."

I blushed, averting my eyes slightly.

"Don't worry about Lady Elizabeth," he said with a smile. "I seem to have nothing else on my schedule for now, unless my master calls for me. How would you like to see the library?"

"I would like that very much," I smiled.

~~~~

tT^?