Chapter 13: A Storm's Prelude

After dinner, the butler and his master went through their usual nightly routine of dressing for bed and talking.

"I assume the storm is your fault," Ciel sighed, the annoyed look still on his face. "You couldn't have come up with a better way to keep them here?"

Sebastian hadn't lost his sly smirk, either. "Well, I choose something that couldn't have been blamed on anything but nature... for all they know, that is."

"Right," Ciel almost rolled his eyes. "I can tell you enjoy this job."

"At times."

"There's something off about Serafin. I'm sure, as you know, I saw the entire thing." Ciel smirked a little. Seeing his butler confess his love to a girl wasn't something he was going to miss. "First of all, there was the way he acted when he ran in. He immediately took very sweetly to her, and began to stress she was his fiancé. Sounds a bit like overacting to me. Also, while he was telling the story, he didn't act the least bit natural around her—not the way a man would around his soon to be bride. He actually looked rather uncomfortable, like he wasn't even used to sitting in the same room with her. Estella's reactions to his story only prove he's not being truthful."

"But some factors—such as the ring—say otherwise," Sebastian suggested.

"Yes, so he may be taking her story and twisting it—pulling elements from it, but not being wholly truthful. Not to mention, didn't you see that his main goal was to get her to leave with him—not to make her recognize him?"

"Yes, all of it is quite odd. You're very perceptive about body language, my lord."

Ciel looked down, deep in thought. "Sebastian... you don't suppose... Serafin is one of them? We've already decided there could be numerous members involved in these kidnappings. I suppose if this is true, Serafin's only an actor. Still, in cases like this, they never work alone. There's more of them here."

"Those were my thoughts exactly," Sebastian's smile faded slightly. "And it also greatly increases the possibility that Estella is tied to the case, and a noble after all..."

Ciel stood stern, ignoring the last few words he had said. "Sebastian, this is an order: Protect Estella at all costs."

Sebastian bowed, his smile returning. "Yes, my lord."

~~~~

I settled down into my bed, and stared out the window, my heart racing faster and faster with every moment of worry. Though I usually despised nasty weather, I was thankful the storm had come. True, it was a miracle, but it had only saved me for a night. Change still lied before me, and I had to think of something to do about it.

But what could I possibly say to convince them that something didn't feel right about Serafin? I already admitted that I recognized the ring, and I really believed more memories would surface with time, but the more I thought about him the usurer I became.

The door suddenly opened behind me, causing me to gasp and jerk around in shock. "My lady," a sweet, comforting voice called. The tall, lean figure approached my bedside. "I apologize for scaring you."

"Sebastian," I sighed with relief. I knew that was my chance to tell him about Serafin, but I couldn't find the words.

"Are you doing alright? You seemed awfully shaken after your fiancé came." He put an odd stress on the word 'fiancé.'

"No, I'm not." I hung my head as took a seat on the edge of the bed. "I'm doubting the man's credibility. I... I understand it's normal to do this, but... something feels... wrong about it all." I began twisting the ring around my finger. "This is the only thing I can make a connection to. You'd think that I'd remember my fiancé's face before the ring, though, don't you?"