Forty-One

-Tori POV-

The day was a bust. Nate was being so arrogant the entire day. It was too hard to pretend to be happy and I couldn't even imagine how he could do it.

It was evening now. The entire family and friends decided to head down to the beach together. I wanted to stay behind and read or maybe try calling Jade once more but Nates sister dragged me with.

I sat crossed legged on a towel beside Gilinsky who had just snapped a cute selfie of us. We had made pouty faces and he had posted, tagging me along with Madison.

Hawaii fun but @tori.maloley and i miss youuu @madisonbeer

I giggled and felt my mood lift a little now that I was thinking about something other than the situation. I just needed to not look at him and I'd be okay.

Not.

Just as my mood lit up just a fraction, it was knocked down immediately. A group of really hot girls jogged pass with their hair flowing behind them, shorts that barely covered their ass.

Tez and Swazz called out for them and waved. The girls looked over and giggled together. They waved back and threw flirty looks and smiles. But that didn't bother me - the fact that Nate waved and smiled so brightly knocked me down.

I slid down my raybans and pretended to not have noticed. But my eyes were burning with tears. I felt Nate's eyes on me after the girls passed - but I kept mine on IG feeds.

It hurt too much.

And he wanted me to hurt. He wanted me to feel the way he felt. The sad part was that I felt even worse - like I could never be happy again. But I wouldn't cry and feel sorry for myself anymore.

"Tori!" Nates cousin - Katherine - jogged up from the beach now. It forced me to look up from my phone. "There's some surfing lessons down!"

I chuckled. "Dude."

"Come on!" She yanked my arm up. "I spotted a few cute instructors, I need a wingwoman."

Since Katherine had just finished her senior year, I guess I could relate to wanting a guy to notice you. So I stood up - more enthusiastic.

"You're still a baby!" Nates dad yelled from behind us as we jogged down to the water.

I was glad to be away from Nate. I still couldn't believe that he would resort to making me feel shit when all I wanted was to fix us. It was pretty.

"You're back!" A really cute instructor said as Katherine and I approached him and a few others. He kind of looked like a tanned Blake Stevens. "And you brought a friend."

I waved. "I'm Tori."

"Tori." He nodded. "I'm Kal and this is the main instructor Evan." He motioned towards a brown haired guy.

"Hey." Evan shot me a bright smile that almost knocked me over. Evan kind of looked like Tyler Posey - I could have drowned in the ocean right now.

But as per usual, a butterfly didn't even spark inside of me. Evan was just a pretty face and hot body - he was no Nate Maloley. My heart sank just a little bit more and I could have ran towards Nate now.

But no.

"I only just learned to swim." I laughed as Evan helped me onto a board. "So just be easy."

Evan chuckled. "Hey I promise I won't let anything happen to you." His voice was deep and I could catch the hint in it. Its not like I had my wedding ring on when swimming so he didn't know.

And so Katherine and I had learned to surf - or well tried to. We had fallen off so many times that it became our routine. I laughed so much that the misery melted away for a while.

"I have no balance." I said as I trudged out of the water with Evan behind me with the board. The dizziness kicked in and I almost lost my steadiness and tumbled.

Evan reached out. "Oh hey, I got you." He had a arm around my waist, to hold me up.

"Thanks." I smiled awkwardly and try to shift out of his grip. I just get guilty being here. Nates voice drifting in my head like a siren.

After Katherine had come up and hugged Kal, we walked back to the crew in fits of giggles. Katherine told me how she touched Kals abs 'accidentally' about a million times. It was so funny.

"How was the lessons?" Nate asked when we reached them, he looked at Katherine and not me - more shots fired at me.

"Amazzzzing!" Katherine sighed then smirked at Nate. "I think that Tori's instructor liked her too much and didn't know she's married. If he only Nate Maloley and what he would do!"

I found myself glance at Nate who had his fists balled up. He looked pissed but didn't say anything. He only shot me a look of irritation.

I sank down beside Johnson and hid my face behind my shades.

-

The sun was setting and we all decided to head back to the villa for dinner. I realize I hadn't eaten breakfast and I wasn't hungry. I had shared a doughnut with Stew but that was it.

I just thought of my bed and how much I wanted to sleep.

As we walked up, I felt a presence behind me and figured it was Johnson since he told me to wait up - wanting to fetch his shades that he dropped on the beach.

"I'm kind of craving pineapples! Maybe we should - " but I stopped when I saw Nate beside me instead.

My heart thudded with hope that we were about to makeup. Maybe he had realized I wasn't out to hurt him and ruin the relationship.

But I was wrong, like I had been about everything lately.

"Watch it, Tori." Nate said furiously, his eyes searching mine for an answer that I didn't have. Then he walked on and fell in line with Derek and Nash.

I gaped after him, unable to even process what was happening. What did that even mean? Was this some comicjoke that I was unaware of? But I couldn't even think what with all the emotions hitting me today.

Everyone retreated to dinner but I retired to my room - shutting and locking the door behind.

-Nate POV-

"Dude." Johnson looked at me with a frown. I had just downed a glass of Hennessey at the dinner table.

"What?"

"What the hell is going on with you today?" He asked, taking the glass away and setting it far away from me.

I chuckled. "Nothing at all!"

"You're an idiot." Johnson said casually, not afraid of me at all. I guess that's why I liked the guy - the realest.

"Look." I turned serious. "Before you lecture me on Tori and how shit I've been to here...take a moment and know that I'm hurting too."

Johnson just looked at me.

"I never hurt." I went on. "But I've never felt this way before and I don't know how to deal with it."

No sympathy was evident on Johnsons face. He just shook his head and looked forward - like he was telling me some shit that I couldn't understand. Then he began eating.

"Dude!" I nudged him. "What are you getting at?"

"Figure it out soon." Johnson mumbled and continued eating.

I slid down in my chair. What did that mean? What would I figure out? I was confused and feeling worse than I had this evening.

I looked around for Tori but she wasn't here. I assumed she had went to bed already. I was worried about her not eating but - my pride was greater even though I hated to admit it.

At the same time, I wanted to be far away from her. I couldnt stop thinking of her and Cameron kissing. It haunted me and I couldn't see myself touching her ever again.