Seventy-Four

-Tori POV-

The doctor insisted that I stay in hospital for at least the next full day. Since the birth was unexpected, I wasn't ready for it. The pain was still getting to me.

The nurses took Natalia for a wash which left me missing her and trying to read a book that Madison got from a nearby bookstore. I was bored and alone and missing my daughter already.

I couldn't sleep last night. Nate and I had stayed up the entire time, cuddling Talia and taking note of her every feature. She really was a perfect match of Nate and myself. It was unreal.

I just turned the page of the book when the hospital door opened. Nate popped his head in to check if I was up. He smile and shut the door behind him.

"How you feeling?" He asked, coming to my side. He wore a basketball tee, his tattoos on full display and I loved them that way.

I pouted. "Like I'm ready to go home."

Nate chuckled and absentmindedly ran his hand through my messy hair. It felt so good, I closed my eyes. He hadn't touched me like that in months.

"I mean, how do you feel foreal?" Nate asked again. "You were so strong the whole time. Even when I wasn't there to help."

I shrugged. "You were always there. And it must have been the fact that I was passed out."

He laughed. "Mom and dad are here to see you. Kaylan and Stew too. I told them everyone else can visit once youre back in Cali."

"Thanks." I exhaled. "I don't think I can do socializing right now."

"Tired?" He asked, running his finger up and down my cheek. God it felt so good.

I nodded. "But they're bringing Natalia back in. I want your family to meet her first."

Nates face lit up immediately at the mention of our daughters name. His smile matching mine.

"I'll bring them in to see you in the meantime." Nate smiled and then left, leaving me wishing for his touch.

The sudden change and leap of events made me feel unsure of everything. For one thing, I wasn't sure what Nate and I were doing now. We were here for Natalia of course but...was that all?

After the previous night I was so torn and so confused. But I forced myself to put it behind me and focus on taking care of Natalia. She comes first before any of the drama between Nate and I.

The door opened again and I smiled, half expecting the Maloley's but instead it was Sammy. My smile faltered a little bit when he walked in and shut the door.

"Hey." He said warmly. "Holding up?"

"I'm good." I nodded. "I'm excited for you to meet Natalia - "

"I swung by the nursery and peeked at her through the window." Sammy said, interrupting me. "She's so beautiful just like her mother."

I smiled. But frowned because Sammy looked different. He sounded oddly distant and wouldnt look me in the eye for longer than five minutes.

"Well thanks for checking up on." Was all I could say. There was a strange vibe in the room.

"I had to." He nodded. "Wanted to see you before I leave."

I chuckled. "You have to be home already? I figured we would all go back together."

"No." Sammy half laughed. "I mean before I leave California."

I frowned. "That business trip isn't til a few months. Did they change the date?"

"Tori you aren't understanding what I'm saying." Sammy closed his eyes. "I'm leaving California for a while. I need to get away, things have gotten too out of hand."