Seventy-Three

-Nate POV-

"Is she okay?" I demanded every time a doctor would emerge from the hospital room.

It was almost 2 a.m. Tori's water had broke about an hour ago and we had rushed her to the nearest hospital. It all happened so fast and was uncalled for.

For one thing, she wasn't due until a full month. Another thing, nobody else was allowed in - not even me! Something must have went wrong but I just can't think what.

I had the urge to barge into the operating room that she was in. I needed to see her and be with her - so I rushed toward the door.

"Nate!" Madison grabbed my arm. "The doctors said no for a reason. I'm just as worried but just walking in there would be so risky for Tori and the baby."

"I can't just wait here! What if she's having a hard time?" I asked, feeling torn.

"She's kind of early so there's no way they can do natural birth." Madison said as she redirected me towards the chairs we sat at. "They're obviously doing a C-section."

"I can still be there!" I frowned. "So why can't I? Something happened and they're not telling us!"

Madison sighed. "We just have to trust that the doctors are doing their best."

I groaned and buried my face in my hands in defeat. This couldn't be what was happening. Tori should have never left town - especially when she was so pregnant.

"Can we talk?" Someone said. The voice was so familiar but I glanced up to make sure I was right.

Sammy.

Madison cleared her throat. "Jack and I will get us some coffee." She smiled and left me in an uncomfortable situation.

Sammy took a seat beside me. I shifted a little, not sure what this was but I had to be ready with my fist. I didn't like how down he was for my wife and I didn't believe people telling me nothing was up.

"What do you want?" I didn't beat around the bush.

"To apologize." Sammy said. "I know now that I was way out of line with Tori."

I didn't say anything.

"I shouldn't have helped her when she came to me. But the hurt in her eyes were too much - I knew she loved you more than you knew. So I did it for you in the start."

I snapped upright. "What do you mean in the start?"

"The longer she stayed, the more time we spent. We did everything together and I let it get too far." Sammy mumbled.

"Did something happen?" I asked, my face heating up with anger.

Sammy shook his head. "Oh no! Not even the slightest. All she ever spoke about was you man."

My heart was at ease. Even though Tori insisted nothing happened, I needed it from both of them. I needed that clarity and peace of mind.

"But you and Derek were doing your own thing. Sammy wasn't even apart of it anymore." He shrugged. "So I was really hurt and annoyed by that but - "

It all made sense. Sammy was just hurt and probably felt betrayed. It was actually my fault for not even noticing that was the case.

"Sammy." I sighed. "I didn't forget you man, I just wanted to get started on my career. I didn't wanna disappoint Tori and the baby."

"I understand now. But regardless I never even tried a move." I whispered at them. "I wouldn't do that."

"Now I know." I nodded. "I still appreciate how you looked after her. I really do."