29

Beyoncé
Thanksgiving

"You outside?" I asked. "Yeah but I'ma come in. Come open the door."

"I'm busy, use your key." I hung up and heard the door open. "Where you at?!"

"Upstairs!" Hearing him come up the steps, I finished putting on my lipstick and he walked into my room.

Coming into the bathroom, I turned around and pecked his lips. "Hey babe." Wiping the lipstick off of his lips, he kissed my forehead. "You almost ready?" I nodded. "I just gotta put on my shoes." I put my things in my make up bag and rested it on the sink.

Walking behind Carter to my room, I went into my closet, I put on my wedges. "You look beautiful baby." I smiled. "I know." He shook his head. "Fine, I take it back." I shrugged. "You already said it."

"Where's Kelly?" He asked. "She got here yesterday and was going to stay at my house, but decided to get a hotel last minute. She's meeting is at your mom's house." He nodded.

"Come on. We gotta go pick up some stuff for her." He said. I nodded. "Alright."

Getting in the car, Carter looked at me. "So what you and Michelle talk about last night?" I laughed a little. "Well it was a test, the whole attitude thing. I defended myself and she welcomed me to the family in a weird way but I accepted it."

He nodded. "Sounds like something Michelle would do." I sniffed. "Have you told your mom about my mother?"

"I told her she doesn't have a stable relationship with you right now." I sighed. "I have a question?"

"What?" I licked my lips. "Why did you tell Marcus to look for her?" He got quiet. "Ashley told me she was so sorry for what happened and I asked her how she knew."

"I was try-"

"You can't fix everything Carter." I said, looking out the window. "I'm just trying to help you. I'm used to disappointments so don't give me false hope."

•••

"Mmm, smells so good in here!" Eric said, walking in. I was washing my hands, about to sit down at the table. "I made the corn!" Michelle said. "Shut the hell up, you know it was canned." Carter said.

Sitting down next to him, I watched as everyone got settled. Kelly came in and sat next to me. "Hey, everyone!" Everyone but Carter, his mom, and I were confused. "I'm Kelly, Bey's sister." They nodded their heads back. "Oh, alright."

"Hey Kelly, I guess we'll get to know you during dinner." Mama Gloria said. I nodded, kissing her cheek. "Hey, Kel."

"Wassup. Hey Jay." He waved. "What's his problem?" I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "Nothing we need to talk about right now."

She nodded. "Alright, the turkey is finally ready." She put it in the middle of the tv and I licked my lips. "Damn, damn, damn..." Andrea said. I chuckled. Grabbing Kelly and Carter's hands, they did the same to the people next to them.

Their mom started prayin and then they went around the table, saying things they were thankful for. I thought I'd get by with a simple answer, but they were all saying speeches. I sighed as it got to Carter, I'd be next.

"I'm thankful for, one, having a great family and having siblings that are successful. Two, for having a mother that makes sure I don't overwork myself. But I'd really like to be thankful next year for her not frying my ass every five seconds." Everyone laughed.