30 - Parents

Tobias
When I enter the intensiv station again i changed my shirt. The other one had stains of blood from Mark.
I put on the hospital gown on and a surgical mask and then walk towards Tris's room. On my way i meet nurse Nancy. I greet her with a small smile and she bops her head to greet me back.
When i enter Tris's room my eyes grow wide. Three people stand in the room.
Two men and one woman. I recognise the woman from the visiting day - its Tris's mother. The older man stands in one corner and the younger one in another. They avoid eachothers glances. Tris's mother - i think the name was Nathalie - sits on the chair i normally sit and holds Tris hand.

When i enter they all look at me. Immediatly i straighten my back and look back at them. Tris's father clears his throat. "Hello, who are you?" Oh god! This is Andrew Prior! He worked closly with my father! Of course... I am so stupid! He will recognise me. Just then i realise that i am wearing a surgical mask and they only see half of my face. I quickly shake my head.

"Hello. My name is Four. I'm a friend of Tris in Dauntless. You must be her parents and her brother." I look at each one of them.
"Why is your name a number?" Her brother - Caleb was it i think- asks. "Its not good for your health to care!" I spit. God how i hate that question. He gets pale. "Well okay. My name is Caleb. Its a pleasure to meet you." He extands his hand but i ignore it and he lets it sink down. Now he starts glaring at me though. I just turn away from him and towards her parents.
"My name is Andrew Prior. I am her father." The older man says and nods towards me.
Lastly Nathalie greets me. "Hello. I think we already met before. You are Tris's initiant instructor." I nod and smile a bit. "Yes. We became good friends afterwards." Caleb glances at me side ways and Mr Prior clears his throat. "Well okay. I don't know how close you are to our daughter but the doctor only vaguely informed us about her condition. Could you tell us a bit more?" Oh a curious abnegation... i think but just nod. "Of course. Tris was in my unit when we visited the factionless sector. Together with another friend of us - Uriah - we got seperated from the others. Then a factionless man came and shot tris twice. She wasn't in a really good condition before and because of the blood loss her brain didn't get enough oxigen and so her brain shut down. They operated her and removed the bullets. Now she is in a coma and we are waiting for her brain activity to increase." Mr Prior slumps down on a chair and rubs his forehead. Caleb starts pacing around. "What is the latest percentage?" "I don't know. The doctor didn't tell me yet." Caleb nods and starts pacing again. Mrs Prior burries her head in Tris's arm and starts crying quietly. Mr Prior walks over to his wife and lays a hand on her back. I look away because i know that even this small touch infront of a stranger is uncomfortable for an abnegation.
I walk past Caleb, who started cleaning his glasses, and sit down on Tris other side. I take her hand in mine and carefully stroke it.
I look at her beautiful face and feel a deep ache inside of me. I just stare at her. She is so beautiful. Even with all these tubes.
I have to hold myself back so i won't touch her face. I want to lay a hand on her face. I want to touch her wonderful face. Her cheeks. Her straight nose. Her prominenent cheek bones. Everything is perfect.
When i look up again i see that the all the wake priors in the room stare at me.
I quickly wipe any emotion away from my face and stare back at them. I see that mrs prior has to fight a small smile. "Well we are going to leave now. Your friends were so friendly to give us a few minutes with our daughter alone." Mr prior says and nods his head in my direction before they leave. Caleb strokes tris forehead once more before he walks after his parents.
I am alone with Tris again and go back to looking at her.
Automaticly my gaze drifts to her stomach and somehow a few seconds later my hands lays on top of it. I feel her light breathing under my hand.
Inside there was my baby. A girl. A small baby girl.
Did Tris know? Did she know but still let me go? This is the question i've been asking myself ever since i found out about the pregnancy. Was she to scared to tell me? If it was like that i don't think i would ever be able to forgive myself.
I take Tris limp small hand in my own. "I love you Tris. With all my heart. And i never stopped." I feel tears burning behind my eyes. "I still love you but you don't know it." I burry my tear stained face in her blanket while my one hand still rests over her stomach. Oh god, what if she never wakes up? What if she will be in a coma forever? I stare at her. Her long hair, her closed eyes, her beautiful lips. Automaticly my hand goes to her cheek. My hand is so big that my fingers stretch over the whole right side of her face while my thumb rests just next to her lips. Her lips... I always loved kissing them. They are so soft and they taste so much like her. Like mint and vanilla.
Slowly i lean forward. I don't know what i am planning untill i close my eyes and softly kiss her. For the first time in more than half a year i kiss her. When my lips touch hers the heart monitor suddenly makes one louder beep before it goes back to normal.
At this i can't hold back the tears anymore. Her heart! She felt it! She felt it! I softly stroke her hair. But if she felt it that means... her brain! Its working better! I can't help that a smile slips on my face. I kiss her forehead, her nose tip, both of her cheeks and finally her mouth again. "I love you tris. You will wake up!" I kiss her again and again her heart makes a small jump. I smile wider and also kiss her knuckles. "I love you Tris. More than anyone else and when you wake up all of our problems will be solved. I will take care of that. I promise." I kiss the palm of her hand once again and smile at her.

I don't know how much time passed untill the door slides open and the whole gang enters. Uri, Mar, Lynn, Shauna, Zeke, Christina, Will, Jonas. The last one glares at me when he sees that i am still holding tris hand. I don't let go though. I keep holding it. If he knew what else i did... i have to supress a grin. "Well hey John." Lynn greets and grins at me before she falls on the couch in the corner. Zeke smiles a bit and walks over to me. He leans down. "Have you calmed down a bit by now?" He whispers. I lightly push him. "Yes you idiot. And i got my revenge." The picture of the beaten up mark flashes through my mind. Zeke gulps. "Did you kill him?" I look at him with a blank expression. "No. But he got what he deserved." I crack my knuckles. Zekes eyes grow wide. "Woah. Remember me to never get on your wrong side."
Normally i don't like hurting other people. But with mark... it filled me with happiness. A weird wrong but still existing and thrilling happiness and i am kind of scared of myself for having it.
I just shrug.
Jonas stands on tris other side and kisses her forehead. I nearly jump up and ram my fist into his mouth but before i can do anything the door slides open and dr jamson and a few nurses step in.
He looks at me kind of scared and i nearly roll my eyes. I am not that scary...
He clears his throat and looks at each one of us one time before he starts talking. "Well hello everyone. I am happy that you all are here today but i am sorry to tell you that we will have to take tris with us." Everyone looks confused and i jump up. "Where do you want to take her? I want to come with you!" Dr jamson backed up a few steps when i jumped up and now forces a smile. "You don't need to worry. We are just taking her for a CT we have to check her gun shot wounds from the inside of her body. Whether they are any inner bleedings. She will be brought back here straight afterwards."
I slowly unclench my fists and nod. "Okay then." Christina lightly touches my shoulder but i barely feel it. Then she returns to wills side who wraps an arm around her shoulder and kisses her temple.
The nurses work with the monitors and tubes that are attatched to tris untill they fixed everything so that tris can be moved. They undo the breaks and then slowly push her out of the room.
I don't even notice that i am following them untill Shauna gently stops me by my arm and squeezes it. I look at her for a few seconds and then at the now empty doorway.
My shoulders slump forward and i drag myself over to 'my' chair. It now stands infront of nothing. Where tris bed was now only is an empty room.

I just stare at the spot that tris bed used to stand at. There is a weird feeling inside me. A bit of fear and something else that i can't really define.
I just have the feeling that something bad is about to happen.