63 - Fighting

Tobias
Nervous i pace up and down next to tris stretcher.
"Why do you think are they taking so long?" I ask her for the millionth time and ruffle my hair.
She gently takes my hand in hers and squeezes it a bit. "Four. Calm down. They have to run their tests. Everything will be fine." I just nod and sit down on the uncomfortable plastic chair. "I hope so." She nods reasuringly and i squeeze her hand. She smiles. I softly kiss her and her smile widens. "I love you. Our baby will be okay." She whispers. I shake my head. "No. It will be perfect." She giggles and rolls her eyes.

A few minutes later the door opens and doctor Steerson and a nurse come back in. "I have your results now." She smiles widely. "I have very good news. Your baby is as healthy as a little baby could be. You are about one month pregnant and it is developing perfectly in time." Tris smiles at me and i beam at her. "We should make our next apointment in about... mh let me see, one and a half month. That would be a good time. Sarah will give you the presice date." I nod and tris sits up again. "Anything that we should know? Any risks?" Dr Steerson nods and gets out a brochure. "You shouldn't drink any alcohol, that could be bad for the babys brain. You also shouldn't smoke any kind of tabac and you should take it easy with exercising. You are allowed to do sports but maybe you should step away from hand to hand combat and fighting in general." Tris nods and takes the sheets that the doctor hands her. "I will take good care of her." I say and dr steerson smiles at me. "I am sure of that." I smile back at her. Then she turns to tris. "It also includes a food plan. You should also eat healthy and in regular intervals."

When we arrive at the apartment i quickly make Tris sit down. "I am going to make you a salad." "Tobias..." she groans and rolls her eyes. I look at her sternly. "You are now carrying a human inside you." She sighs but doesn't object and lets me get her a salad and a sandwich.
"I am not even hungry..." she groans and glares at the food. "Yes you are." I argue and make her eat the whole salad.

"I am going to go for a walk now." She announces after a bit of silent reading on the couch. "I'll come with you." I immediatly say and jump up to help her. "No!" She snaps. "Tobias stop this. I am just pregnant, not deathly sick! I can go for a walk alone and I can decide what i eat alone!" I am taken aback by what she said and immediatly my mind switchtes to defence. "Well, maybe you should remember the last time you were pregnant then." The second i said it I immeditaly regret it. I see how her face goes slack and she starts to tear up. Without another word she turns around. "Tris..." i quickly say and try to grab her arm. "Tris please. I didn't mean it. I am sorry." She janks her arm away, grabs her jacket and runs out. "Tris!" I yell after her but she doesn't turn around and just dashes around the next corner.

I could slap myself for this comment. I didn't think about it. I nervously think about what to do and then decide to go after her. I slip into my shoes and my jacket and then run out. Just when the door shuts i realise that I forgot my keys. I sigh but still start running. "Tris?" I yell into the empty hallways. Everyone is eating dinner at the moment. I run towards Christinas apartment first and knock on the door maniacly. "Tris?" I ask again. I think that Christina isn't home. I keep running and end up at the chasm. I look down into the trashing water. Where would Tris go if she would want to be alone? Wouldn't want to be interrupted...
Then it clicks in my mind. Of course!

I run to the hidden door and open it. I walk down the slippery steps and then turn around the corner. And there she is. She sits hunched over and has her face burried in her hands. The sight makes my heart ache. Espacially because i am the reason for her feeling that way. Slowly i walk closer to her. I notice that the water soaked her shoes and she is shivering. With quiet steps i come even closer. I know that she already noticed me. She slightly looked in my direction. I slide one arm around her cold, small shoulder and slip out of my jacket - leavig me just in a hoodie. I lay the jacket around her shoulders and she looks at me. "You hurt me." She says it quietly, like a whisper. It makes my heart shatter. "I know. I am sorry. I shouldn't have said it. You know its not true. It wasn't your fault." She starts tearing up and i pull her closer towards me. "I just don't want to mess this baby up." She sobs into my chest. I gently press her head to my chest. "You won't. And do you know why i know that?" She shakes her head and i place my lips directly next to her ear. "I know it because you are you. And you are strong. And beautiful. And brave. And I love you. If we mess this up we'll do it together."

She looks up at me with tears in her eyes. "I love you." I smile and softly peck her lips. "I love you too. And i am really sorry that i said that. It was stupid and... I hate myself for it. I caused you pain." She softly takes my hand in hers and guides it over her stomach. "It doesn't matter, Tobias. All that matters is this. Us."