71 - Escape

Tris
My foot hurts. My foot hurts so much that it brings tears to my eyes. I just keep running. I clench Tobias hand that still lies in mine. The cool packs are gone for a long time. I ran two steps and they flew out. We readjusted the bandage and wraped it tighter around the splint. Now at least the splint kind of sticks to my foot. My shoulder also hurts but not nearly as much as before. Uri did a good job. Although it hurt like crazy I am glad now.
Tobias flashes me a sideway glance and I force myself to smile at him. I don't want him to worry about me right now. He squeezes my hand and smiles back at me.
"There are the train tracks!" Uri announces - who runs as the first one. "I can already see them." Mar says as well now. Come on. Come on. Only a few more meters. I say to myself. I need to do this. I will make this. I let Tobias drag me forwards and around the corner. And then suddenly I see them. My body is numb everywhere. My shoulder and my foot scream with pain that now dulled to a constant throb. I know that it won't go away for a long time now. The last few meters Tobias has to steady me under my arm. "Thanks." I wheeze out. He shakes his head. "Anything for you." I smile. I can't muster the strenght to say anything else at the moment. I need all of it to keep myself running.

Finally, finally we reach the train tracks. I slump against Tobias and take away my weight from my foot. He basically carries all my weight now but he doesn't seem to bother. He just keeps stroking my hair and whispering reasuring things in my ear. "The train will come in about five minutes." Chris announces and jumps on the tracks. She walks them up and down and jumps from rail to rail. Uri follows her and does the same. I look at the watch Tobias wears. It says that its 4.47 am. I am tired. So tired. But at the same time I am nervous. Giddy. Not holding your feet still excited.
We are going to escape this city. Find out whats behind these borders. Wasteland like they told us? Other people? Another world? I am nervous to get all my questions answered. Why did they put us in here? What happened? What made them to that?

I shake my head. I need to focus on the more important things now. For example how I am going to jump on a moving train with a sprained ankle? And how am I going to pull myself up with a dislocated shoulder?
I burry my face deep in Tobias chest and take a deep breath. He still smells the same. "Thank you." I say again. He smiles. I know he does although I don't look at him. He softly pecks my head and then slowly tilts my head up so i am looking at him. Just then I remember. We haven't even kissed since the rescue. We were to busy running away. He seems to realise the same and slowly leans down. My lips prickle in excitment. His lips are only two inches away. One. I feel his warm breath on my face. My breath hitches. "The train is coming! Start running." Tobias groans and turns away. My heart is pounding fastly in my chest. Tobias starts running and pulls me with him. My foot protests again but it doesn't matter. I run faster. I hear the train behind me but I don't look back. I know when it will pass me. With a loud noise the first waggon passes me. The noise is pounding in my ears and the rumbling fills my body. Uri jumps in as the first. He lands in the third cart. Mar follows straight behind him. Then Lynn is gone inside and Chris is directly behind her. Now only Tobias and I still run beside the train. Tobias squeezes my hand again and then lets go to swing himself into the train. His muscles flex and I watch them play together. He vanishes inside the dark train. My shoulder burns and hurts. My ankle screams with pain. I feel like I can't take another step. I reach out my healthy arm but miss the handle. I scream in angony. Tobias head pops out of the waggon. He reaches out his hand and screams something. I can't hear him over the wind and the train. The train picks up speed. I force myself to run faster. Faster and faster. My ankle is numb. I am sure that it will never stop hurting ever again. My fingertips brush tobias's and he leans out a bit more. His hand closes around my under arm. He pulls me up with the help of the others behind him. I slump into his arms. Only now I feel that tears are running down my face from exhaustion. "I got you. You are safe." Tobias says and I hear that his heart beats as fast as mine. I start sobbing into his chest. I don't really want to but the tears just start running involuntarily. He sits down and pulls me on his lab. He leans against the wall and i lean against him. His heart slows and so does mine. I rest my head against his shoulder. He softly tilts my head up and my heart picks up speed again. Other reasons now but same reaction. He smiles slightly and my heart skips a beat. My lips prickle and then his lips are on mine. I sigh against his lips and the sound vanishes in the loud noises of the train. I pull him closer to me by his neck. "I love you." He whispers. "I love you too." I answer and pull him towards me again. I missed him. I missed him with every fiber of my body and i feel that he did the same. We keep kissing until Uri shouts something from the other corner. "What?" Tobias shouts back. "I said: break it of you lovebirds!" I have to laugh a bit and lean my head against his shoulder again. "I love you." I whisper again. Tobias smiles and softly places a hand on my stomach. "I love you too." I smile and close my eyes and in no time i'm asleep.