76 - The Bureau

Tobias
"Tobias, how about you go with Amar? I'll show Tris everything." It still feels weird that everyone here knows my name. I shoot a look at tris. She stands straight with a pair of crutches. Her foot is thickly wraped in gauze bandages and her arm rests in a triangular bandage. She wears fresh clothes, like all of us. "You can go. I'll be fine. Go with the others. We'll see us at lunch." I hesitate but then nod. I pull her towards me and press my lips on her forehead. "I love you." She smiles and softly pecks my lips. "I love you too."
She smiles and then turns away. It feels weird watching her walk away - knowing that she will come back with all this knowledge that will disturb her, like it did with me.
I turn away from Zoe and Tris and towards Amar and my other friends who are standing a few meters away from me. I walk over to them and stand next to Uri. "Where are we going today?" Lynn asks. She seems quieter than usual. I think all this weird things made her think. I mean she is damaged after all. They all are. Only Uri, Tris and I aren't. Christina, Lynn, Marlene, Zeke, Shauna. They all have damaged genes. I guess that must feel weird. But I mean what do our genes really say about us? Just as I think about it I realize it: our genes totally define who we are. I mean we can't change them, and the bureau scientists explained pretty explicitly that our genes are all that matters for them, that we are who we are because of our genes. Our decision, our opinions, our thoughts... all of that can be brought back to our genes.
"Come on, I want to show you something." Amar now says and throws me out of my thoughts. While thinking I mindlessly followed my friends into the atrium. The big glass windows let the sun fall onto the clean floor and light the atrium in a nice light. I look at all the flowers, they don't have them because they are useful, only because they are pretty. It seems like a weird concept for me. I guess that is the only thing I was told. Everything has to have a specific use or otherwise it's not necessary.
"Today I want to show you something special. We will take a look at the surveillance room. Follow me."
Amar starts walking towards a door on the left. I follow him. By now I found out how on earth he is alive. Apparently he is Divergent like me and was rescued by the bureau. For them the divergent are special and worth more than other people. The damaged. I think this whole two class system isn't... right, or fair. I mean you can't do anything about your genes and you shouldn't be judged because some scientists meddled with your great-great-grandparents genes. That doesn't seem fair.
We reach the so called surveillance room only two minutes later. Amar stops and turns to us, "For some people this is the hardest part about being here. Please don't freak about it." I frown and wait for him continue but he just opens the door and leads us into a room full of black monitors and about five people. They all turn towards us and start mumbling with eachother. I feel weird being stared at like this.
"What is this, Amar?" I ask sharply. He nods towards one man and the man clicks a key.
All the monitors turn on a at once. Chris gasps. "That's our city. Chicago..." the name still sounds weird to me. "Yes." Amar confirms. "This indeed is Chicago. This is the place where we survey everything that is going on there. We have access to all the cameras in the city and how some of you might know" he shoots me a look "there aren't only a few of them."
I nod in agreement and in some kind of awe I watch my home town on a monitor. There are the familiar dauntless hallways with lots of people running around. There is the abnegation sector with its clean streets and plain houses. There are the people I know on the screen. I see Max and Eric walking down a hallway. A thought flashes my mind. "Can we see Zeke?" Amar hesitates, "We could... but it could be weird to see someone but don't be able to talk to them. It's better to just completely accept that you have no more access to the city." I nod. "I do realize that. I'd just like to make sure he is alright." "I'd like to know that too." Uri helps me and the others also nod in agreement.
"Ok then, Micheal, please show us Ezekiel Pedrad." Michael nods and clicks on his keys. "Since you left we always have one monitor for Zeke and his family. We are worried about their health and I already expected that you'd like to see him." Amar says and smiles at me. I don't return it. I still haven't forgiven him that he made me think that he was dead. He just let me grief. And so did my mother. Why do people keep doing that to me?
I try to shake away that thought and concentrate on the monitor.
"I'll project it on the big monitor." Michael announces. I switch my focus to the big monitor. Three images pop up. One shows Zeke in the controlroom where he looks bored into his computer. I have to grin a bit. The second shows Shauna patrolling the fence. She walks next to a girl and they talk about something. She laughs and pushes a stray of hair out of her face. The third image shows little Lya in the kindergarten in dauntless. She plays with a boy her age and they build a house out of wooden blocks together. I see how Uri and Lynn stare at their siblings both irritated and in awe. "And this is live?"  Mar asks who stepped next to Uri and let her hand glide into his. Amar and Michael both nod simultaneously. "Yes it is. This is what they are doing in this second." Michael confirms and zooms in on Shauna. The picture is crystal clear. You can see nearly every pore in her face.
I cross my arms in front of my chest. I feel Amar watching me. He has been doing that since we arrived. Like I am some kind of bomb that could explode anytime and he wants to be there to contain the damage as good as possible. Not that that is really necessary. Although I don't forgive him I do kinda understand why he did it. It did save his own life. Michael turns towards us and starts talking, I wish he didn't...
"Did you guys see enough? You can come here any time you want. Ew have the leaders on constant watch and, just so you know, we also watched you rescue Tris. It was some kind of highlight for all off us. You didn't fail to entertain us." I frown and Mar now steps forward. "Are you kidding me?"
Michael frowns. "What do you..." he starts but she interrupts him. "Is this..." she points at the screen "Is all of that just some game for you? Those are real people! Just so you remember that! They have feelings and family. They love and hate eachother just like you do. Our friend was injured and pregnant and for you it was some kind of show, while for us it was reality! That there was our reality and you all have no right to look at this cameras. You think you do but it's disgusting. You watch people like they are animals in an exhibition. I repeat real people with real life's. I can't even imagine this... you watch people suffer just like that and you know that it happens only a few kilometers away from you but you decide to ignore that. That is disgusting! People were killed in this city! They killed themselfs in this city! One of our friend, Al, killed himself. You could have saved him! You would have had the power to do it! For me you are responsible for everything bad that happened in my life and the ones of my friend!" With that she turns around and storms out of the room. Uri on her heel.
Michael looks dumbfound and Lynn, Chris and i just follow mar and Uri out.
Amar is right behind me.
A few seconds later he took the lead and we walk silently behind Amar towards our next destination. Chris walks beside me and softly touches my arm. "She does have a point, you know?" I frown and move my head from side to side. "I don't really know... I mean it's not like they survey everyone 24 hours, 7 days in the week. They look at the important stuff. Stuff that is important for their... experiment. They didn't save Al because they simply didn't look at him. You can't just simply blame them for everything that happened. It doesn't work like that. But I do understand why she freaked out like that. It's a weird thought to someone who didn't know anyways."
Chris raises her eyebrows at me. "And so you already knew?" I frown. "Of course I did. I mean I worked in the control room... what do you think we did the whole day? We surveyed the cameras. I knew where every single one was. So did Tris. Not at first but I told her how to notice them." I have to smile at the thought.
Everything was easy back then. Just Tris, my friends and I. I showed Tris knew things and she damn well showed me some new things.
Chris nudges my side. "Okay, thanks for telling me then... I mean back then. Couldn't you have told us?" I frown. "I didn't think that was necessary. For me and Tris it became so normal. I mean I only watched the cameras for tris because I knew she was Divergent and that someone in the control room could hear her. In the beginning that was my reason." I smirk at her and wonder why she doesn't return it. "Well whatever. You should have told all of us. Not just Tris. Just my opinion." With that she catches up to Lynn and they start talking.
I frown. Why is Christina behaving so weirdly around me? I try to shrug it off and just quietly follow behind the others.
Amar leads us over to the exit. "I think you guys need a bit fresh air after this." He winks at Mar and her cheeks flush with a bit colour but she smiles again.
"So, since you all were amazed by the planes I will show you some more and explain them a bit further. Come on." He smirks and opens the door.

Outside the sublight greats us and I wonder where Tris is and what she is doing. I fasten my steps and catch up with amar. "When will we meet Tris?" He shrugs. "Probably at lunch. Could be that she is here though. If they were fast she might be." I nod and look around for her. I want her opinion on this whole bureau thing and espacially the genetics thing... I am really curious what she'll think...

Just then I spot her at the other side of the field. She sits on a bench together with Zoe and a man. He is around our age. Probably in his early twenties. They are deeply engaged in a conversation and I can feel the tension in Tris.
I wonder what they are discussing so controversly...
My friends follow Amar over to the plane area while I just stand between them. Go over to Tris or follow the others? I look over at Tris and how she ruffles her hair. Probably tired or confused. Or just simply mind blown. Understandable.
I guess I can't really help her right now. She has to wrap her mind around the things and then we'll talk about it.
I turn and fall into a jog to follow my friends. I'll talk to Tris later. Also she seems to have good company...
I try to shake of that thought and finally reach the others.
Amar turns to us smirking. "How about I show you the cockpit and then we'll all go for a flight?"
My eyes grow wide. So high above the ground in a small plane? Sounds like a horrifying nightmare...
I seem to be the only one who thinks like that because the others all nod excitedly. I'll decide later whether i'll go.
We all follow Amar into the plane. The walls are thick and the door looks heavy.
"Can you do a... like a training to fly this thing?" Uri asks. Amar nods. "Yup. Then you'd be a pilot. We have trainings and simulators and stuff. If you want you can register yourself and then you'll be able to fly this baby." Lovingly he pats the seat. "So here sits the pilot. He is the main flyer."
He points to a seat next to the one from the pilot. "And here sits the copilot. He helps the pilot and has to work with the comunication with the airports and keeps the plane in touch with the ground in general. He looks at the radar and checks the route. But both copilot and pilot have the same training."
Uri and Lynn smirk at eachother. "Dips Pilot!" Uri says and runs to the pilot seat. "Shit!" Lynn curses and flops down on the copilot seat.
The material of the seats is worn down but the machines look new and like they are working perfectly. Most of them are spotless and the many lights are clearly visible.
Amar laughs. "Neither of you will be able to fly this baby anytime soon. It needs a lot of work and training in simulators. If you want I can help you get a place. Espacially you Uriah will have a good chance of getting in."
Lynn shoots out of her seat. "What is that supposed to mean?" Amar looks at her. "Well, for pure people it is easier to get into stuff like that. But you can apply as well. Maybe it will work..."
Lynn, Chris and Mar exchange looks while Uri frowns. "Seriously, why though? Lynn is just as smart as me! I mean its obvious who has the better looks but..."
Lynn shoots him a glare and everyone cracks a smile.
I guess this here really is a two class society. And all of that just because of the genes?
It falls quiet in the cockpit and I just want to break the kind of awkward silence when the door opens and Tris steps inside. She smiles and looks around confused - feeling the tension. "Everything alright here?" Amar nods and stands a bit straighter. "Yup, Uri and Lynn are just thinking about doing a pilot training." Tris nods excitedly. "That would be perfect for you two." They both smile and nod.
Behind Tris I spot Zoe and this man. I wonder what he is doing here... Gosh, I can't be jealous of this random guy but I do wonder how Tris got up the steep stairs with her crutches... No! I don't want to have these thoughts...
I walk over to Tris and wrap my arm around her hip. She smiles at me and pecks my cheek.
"So, are we going to go for a flight or what?" Uri says excitedly. I look down at Tris.
This man she came nods and grins. "I will join you if you don't mind. My name is Matthew. I am a scientist. I work in the gen labs."
Tris nods. "Yes. Of course you can join us. You still need to tell me about that experiment." He smiles and nods. The others also smile and nod. I don't even notice that I grip Tris waist tighter until she looks up at me. "are you alright?" I nod. "Yeah. Sure." My jealousy is ridiculous. She is pregnant with my child for gods sake!
I smile at the thought of little  Jordan.
Tris turned to the others again. Zoe now steps forward and smiles. "Let's go for a flight then."