74 - New World

Tobias
I follow Chris out of the truck and then wait for Tris. She looks worse than before. She is pale and her legs shake. I notice although she does a pretty good job at covering it up. She looks exhausted. I just hope that they will give her some room to rest soon. She notices me looking at her and shoots me a smile that probably is supposed to reassure me. It doesn't work very well... I sigh and get our bags from the truck together with the others. Tris already followed Zoe into the building. I quickly follow them through the open door. My friends follow behind me. Zoe stops a few meters away from a weird doorway like thing. I have no idea what it could be. It kinda looks like a door into another dimension.
"I'll need you to leave your guns here. You can get them back when ever you leave this building. You are free to leave at any moment. I promise." Zoe now says and points to a case. She starts off with her gun and everyone follows suit. When Tris wants to put in her knife as well I quickly take her hand to stop her and then intervene our hands so the movement isn't to conspicuous. Zoe still smiles when she says, "Before you try hiding any weapons please notice that this..." she points to the doorway thingy "Is a metal detector. It is specialized in finding weapons." Inlet go of Tris hand and she puts the knife from her back pocket into the case as well while I get the one out of her boot. Zoe smiles a knowingly but still kind smile. "Okay I'll go first. It's completely easy." She nods towards us one more ice and then steps through the metal detector. Only a second later a small green light blinks and she is waved through. She puts her jacket - that has been looked through by one of the guards - back on and gives us a thumbs up. Tris leans heavily into me. I don't think she even notices. Lynn is the next one to pass through metal detector. Then Mar, Chris and Uri follow after her. I squeeze tris healthy shoulder and then step through the thing myself. I stand in the metal detector for a second and then the guard waves me through with a smile. I nod towards him and then take my jacket back from him. Now only Tris is back on the other side. I take a look at her. She is barely showing till now. There is a small baby bump but one could only see it when he knows that she is pregnant.
The guard now nods to her and she shakily moves her legs. She steps under the metal detector and waits the second. She makes a step forward and then starts stumbling. She is falling! I run towards her. Her knees hit the floor and in the last second I can catch her head. Uri behind me cries her name and Zoe and Amar come sprinting towards us. I take her into my arms and feel her pulse. It's speeding way to fast. The baby! This can't be good for him or her.
With Tris still in my arms I straighten. I didn't even notice that the others gathered around the two of us and all speak at the same time. "Zoe!" I boom over the voices. "The hospital! Where is it?" Zoe nods. "Follow me! Or no, Amar you show him. You are faster!"
And then we are off. I try that Tris's head doesn't bump to much against my chest but there is not much I can do about that. The second time that I am carrying her because she collapsed today. Too much pressure on her fragile body, and the baby! There is nothing else I can think about. Tris and the baby. Tris. The baby. Tris. Baby. Tris. Baby.
"Four here!" Amar yells and slitters to a halt. We stand introns of a white double door. He pushes it open and we run inside.
He talks to a nurse and in the next second there is a stretcher next to me. I softly lay Tris on it. "She-she is pregnant. Please. The baby..." Amar looks at me surprised. "She is pregnant?" "Yes!" I only answer and then follow the nurses. "Please stay here, Four." The nurse says. "We will take good care of her." "No!" I say. "I know no one of you. I won't let you just take her! I will come with you." The nurses exchange looks but then a doctor comes out of one of the doors. "What is taking so long?" "Four wants to come with us..." "please just take care of her now!" I say panicked. "Then let him come along for gods sake! She needs help." The nurses nod and push the stretcher into the room.
One of them hands me a hospital gown and a surgical mask. The others put on the same things.
I stand at the forest corner of Tris stretcher with her foot right in front of me. One of the male nurses gets me a stool and I crash down on it. Everything hurts and my head feels like it might explode but all of that is irrelevant because of Tris, and the baby. "The baby! Please look at the baby!" I say. I don't care about anything but Tris and the baby at the moment. I can't care about all this new people. About people who miraculously know my name and Tris's. Who still don't know that Tris is pregnant. "Okay, Jenny, please get Dr Norrison." And then he turns to me and explains. "She is out prenatal doctor. She will look at your baby." I slowly nod. "Thank you." He turns back to Tris but still talks to me. "Believe me, she will get much advanced care here than in Chicago..." I frown. "Where?" He looks back at me and then a realization seems to hit him. "Oh yeah... right. You just arrived..." I nod and think of this weird word... name, again. 'Chicago' weird name...
The doctor puts on surgical gloves and pries of the bandage of tris head wound. My heart seems to stop when I see it. The wound is surrounded by dried blood and pus. It is sickly red and swollen. Include my hand around Tris's. "She got this with a knife, right?" The doctor asks. I frown. "I don't know... i wasn't there when it happened." He nods and gets an antiseptic wipe. "Why didn't you sterilize this?" And at this point I snap. How does he dare to ask this? Does he think I am stupid or want to kill my girlfriend? "Of course we wanted to! But try finding an antiseptic wipe in the middle of no where while you are running from people who want to imprison you! While running through mud and dirt and also having to take care of a broken ankle and a dislocated shoulder. I am sorry that we weren't perfectly equipped! I am sorry! I am sorry. I am sorry..." In the end I only started crying and turn away from the doctor again.
I silently cry into the stretchers sheet and don't care about anything. This is too much. Too much worries for one day. Just too much. A nurse hands me a tissue and I dry my eyes. Yes, it has been a long day but Tris needs me now. I will have time to rest later. When Tris is better. By now there are two doctors here. The first one is still busy with Tris's head wound while the other one now pours a gel on Tris stomach. There are also four nurses in the room. One helps the doctor. The second one the prenatal doctor. The third is slowly undressing Tris - stating with her shoes and looking at her swollen ankle. I want to help but I also need Information right now or I'll go crazy.
I stand up and walk over to the prenatal doctor. I think her name was Dr Norrison. "Dr Norrison?" I ask. She turns around and smiles. "That's me. I recon this is your girlfriend?" I nod. "And my baby." She nods. "I thought so. I am just checking your baby on this screen." She points to a crispy picture. I squint my eyes. "Is the baby healthy? Is Tris healthy?" "I can certainly answer the first question. Your baby is very healthy, yes. He is a bit stressed but other than that perfectly developed." I feel like a hundred tons of weight have been lifted of my shoulder. I take Tris's hand in mine and squeeze it. The baby is healthy. He is... I turn to Dr Norrison. "What did you say?" She smiles. "Your Baby, he is perfectly healthy." I smile widely. "So it's a Boy?" Dr Norrsion looks surprised. "Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know that you didn't know the gender yet... I should have asked." I shake my head. "No it's fine. Perfectly fine."
By now Tris is connected to a heart monitor... again... I don't know how long I already stared at her heart beat. I didn't want to do it ever again...
"How is she?" I now ask the other doctor. He nods and throws away one of the antiseptic wipes. "She is getting better already. You see the iv? It's an antibiotic, it helps her fight against the infection in her body. The infection was only so bad because her body was exhausted. She didn't get enough rest and also from the pain she has to suffer. Like her foot. And the big bruises on her back, and her shoulder of course." I frown. Bruises on her back? I didn't even know about those. How did he know? He didn't even turn her around...
"Okay, that is awesome news. When will she wake up?" "She isn't really unconscious. She is only asleep at the moment. Luckily you caught her head quickly enough, so her head wasn't hurt. She should wake up within the next 12 hours. Her body is completely exhausted. We will give her some nutrients and water as well so she doesn't loose any of her strength." I can only nod. "Okay, thank you. Could you maybe get my friend from outside?" The doctor nods and then leaves.
Only a few seconds later everyone bursts into the room and they all start talking at once. "Guys, guys!" I say as quietly as possible. "Please be a bit more quiet. Tris needs to rest."
By now there are no more nurses in the room and also no more doctors. Me and my friends are alone.
"What happened to her?" Uri now asks quietly and Chris nods furiously. "Yeah, what happened?" She repeats. I nod. "She was just exhausted. All of this just exhausted her to much. With her foot and her shoulder and everything... I guess I should have taken better care of her... I mean she is mine to watch over her... I promised that to her dad. But I keep failing. Over and over again. She gets shot and I have to sit next to her hospital bed, she is pregnant and gets arrested and I have to make her hate me, she is injured and I can't even convince her to rest. I don't... I can't..." I burry my head in my hands and turn away from them. They are all quiet - probably quietly discussing who should say something. "You know that that isn't true. You know it, we all know it. Without you..." Chris says but I interrupt her. "Without me she wouldn't have been shot, she wouldn't have been in the hospital, she wouldn't have been in prison. She would be healthy. I brought her only pain and nothing more and I will never..." "Stop this! Right now! You are behaving ridiculous right now! Stupidly ridiculous. So ridiculous and winy that I barely recognize you anymore. Stop crying over everything you don't have and finally see what you to have. You two love eachother and you will get a baby. You will be parents and you are safe. For now you are safe and you should enjoy that instead of mopping around because something isn't perfect. Is Tris alive? Yes! Is the baby alive? Yes! Will Tris wake up within the next 24 hours? Yes! We just arrived at this new place and we have to look at it now. Am I the only one who is kind of freaking out right now?" Lynn bursts out.
We all stare at her. I think this is the most I have heard her talking. Ever. But she is right. We have to find out what this is all about. Where we are and who those people are that miraculously know our names. "You are right." Chris agrees. "Now is not the time for all of this. We will just have to leave Tris here. Temporarily of course. We have to look at this place. It is pretty likely that it will be our new home..."
We are all quiet after that. They are both right. I need to pull myself together. Tris life isn't threatened. Not at the moment but I - we have to find out what all of this is. That's for sure. For now I have to leave my baby boy and Tris here.
I nod. "You are right. We have to go." I go to Tris head and first softly peck her lips and then press them to her forehead. "I won't be gone for long. I will be here when you wake up." I promise her whispering.
I turn around to the others and then we step out on the hallway - ready to discover this new world.