Chapter six: Neptuna

Once my watch was over I walked over to Natalie's tent and woke her up.

"Time for my watch?" She groggily opened her eye.

"Yep."

"I'm up, I'm up." She slowly got up.

"So where's our next stop?"

"Jansen, Arizona."

"Why there?"

"I don't know, it just feels right."

"Where is it?"

"Ever heard of Trinidad? Yeah, it's right next to it."

"Then why not Trinidad?"

"Too populated, if there's a monster attack then more people might get hurt."

"Monsters actually do attack you guys, then?"

"Yeah but not very often, our dog tags magically tell them we're from Camp Ops and most are smart enough not to mess with us."

"That's lucky."

"No, it's strategy." Natalie smiled. "Carrie had the idea after a quest came back but they couldn't finish their quest because there were so many monsters. It also helps us live a more normal lifestyle, you know, no monster attacks in schools or out in public. The only downside is the only monsters that don't care that we're from Camp Ops are the really strong ones and the gods."

"Mhm."

"What?"

"Huh?"

"What was that 'Mhm' for?"

"It was just me saying okay."

"...Okay."

"See you in the morning." I mumbled, crawling back into my tent. I layed down and folded my hands over my stomach.

I would give anything to see Carrie again. Even for a mere minute. I just wanted to hug him again, to know he was okay. I missed him with all my heart and soul. I took a deep breath and tried to steady my speeding heart. I was so scared that he was hurt, or worse. I had to calm down.

I already felt like I was going to be sick, but I had been smart enough not to eat anything since lunch yesterday. If I had, I probably would have hurled everything, back in Nevada.

Before I knew it I was in another nightmare, watching Carrie get struck by the lightning bolt then falling to the ground. Then the nightmare switched to something new, but just as awful.

Carrie and Grace.

Grace had her head on Carrie's stomach and they were laughing. After Grace fell asleep Carrie picked her up like an injured puppy and carried her back to the praetor cabin.

I stared in horror as the dream changed again. I was sitting on the beach, obviously at Camp Half Blood, and I was on a date. With a boy.

This whole time I had been accusing Carrie of dating Grace when they might never have but Carrie never, ever accused me of something I actually did— date someone else.

Right then and there I decided I would never forgive myself. I couldn't believe how stupid I was to start accusing him, when I had been dating someone else as well.

The next time I saw him I would apologize, for everything.

If he's even alive, I thought. He won't be able to tell you he knows you're sorry if he's dead. He has to be dead, no one can survive a lightning strike from Zeus himself... But what if he's not? What if he's wandering around somewhere, looking for us?

I guess it was just wishful thinking but I hoped and prayed with all of my heart that he was still alive.

"Time for breakfast!" Natalie yelled, and I was dragged back into reality.

It was still dark outside but no one really cared. There was already food set out for everyone, buttered bagels and tasty looking french fries.

"Where'd you get all of this food?" Max eyed her.

"You didn't steal it, right?" Alivia questioned.

"I didn't steal it, Angita gave me a little gift back in Nevada and it turns out it works!" Natalie grinned ear to ear, obviously extremely proud of what she had accomplished.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Just a bag but when you say a food that food comes out."

"Why would a goddess of healing ever need a bag like that?" Alivia reasoned.

"She's also a goddess of witchcraft." Max sat down and started eating.

Alivia and Natalie copied him. But I didn't touch the food.

"You have to eat." Alivia looked from me to my food then back again.

"You need the strength." Natalie chipped in.

I shook my head. "No, I don't. I'm perfectly fine."

"Let's just let her starve." Max growled, still glaring at me.

"Max!" Natalie gaped at him.

"What has gotten into you?" Alivia stared at him incredulously.

"You don't want to know." He stood and went to pack up his tent.

"Don't worry about it." I told them. "He just doesn't like me."