Chapter twelve: Carrie

"You fought well, for a boy." Artemis grasped my hand and helped me to my feet.

Her clothes were stained in ichor. Luckily we hadn't fought to the death but we did fight until someone was on the ground, disarmed, and the other person was ready to kill.

"But you fought better." I sighed and walked over to my backpack.

"Yes, well you should try to keep your head down."

"Kind of hard to do that while the king of the gods is firing lightning bolts at me."

"Yes, well something much bigger is coming."

I went silent and pulled my backpack onto my shoulder then started to wonder.

"What was Neptuna talking about, that you forbade her to say?"

"I forbade her from informing you of your past relationship."

"...What do you mean by relationship?"

"...Friendship... With benifits." And with that final sentence, she disappeared.

I blinked.

Did she mean...?

Imposible. I would never do anything like that.

I shook my head and tried to get the thought out of my head.

Something moved in the corner of my eye, I knew I didn't imagine it.

"Reveal yourself." I readied my bow in the direction I had seen the figure move.

I saw the immortal's face and I lowered my bow.

"Go. I'm not dealing with you right now." I snarled.

"No time for old friends? Oh, that's sad." Lycaon let out a loud cackle.

"I know what you're doing and it's not going to work." I growled and raised my bow once more.

"Oh I beg to differ." He grinned his sharpened teeth.

"Leave or I'll shoot."

"You don't have the right arrows." He crossed his arms though I could tell he was trying not to think about it.

"Do you really think that I would dare go on a quest without silver arrows?" I raised an eyebrow, "Leave. Now, or I won't resist the urge to shoot you."

His eyes widened and he stumbled backwards back into the forest and he disappeared into the shadows. Killing each other and hurting each other weren't included in the deal so I could kill him as many times as he was stupid enough to go near me.

After a few minutes of walking I realised something, there hadn't been a single monster attack as I was walking. Just as I had the thought the forest around me erupted in all sorts of animal sounds. I was surrounded. Almost immediately I whistled for Emma.

Five arrows at a time I shot down the monsters. They would fall and turn to dust. But once they realised I was just going to shoot them down they started attacking back.

With scratches all over my legs and face I reached up, grabbed hold of Emma's reigns then pulled myself onto her back.

"Go!" I yelled to her then collapsed as she flew into the afternoon sky.

"Let's go to Oden, Oden Kansas." I whispered before letting the darkness overtake me.

"What do you think is wrong with him Marshmallow?" Someone whispered. "Maybe he's dead. Hope he's not dead, that would be very bad for us."