Chapter fifty eight: Neptuna

War.

After replacing my chestplate, I teleported back to my station with the other kids of the big three. I sat down in a relatively hidden area and began contemplating if I should Iris message Percy or Reyna or something like that. I wanted them to call this war off, to know that I was alright, before they got hurt.

I decided I might as well try.

I created a small, misty spout of water and pulled out a coin. I tossed it into the spray and said, "Perseus Jackson, please."

There was a quiet buzz of static, but nothing appeared. I furrowed my brow in frustration and repeated, more firm, "Perseus Jackson, please."

The static buzzed a bit louder, then the noise flickered out.

I huffed and let the spout die out.

So IM's weren't working. Great. Now I couldn't warn Percy about me being okay, and the strength of Camp Ops.

Wonderful.

I leaned back until I was lying in the grass. I closed my eyes and relaxed.

"Where do you guys think Carrie took that girl?" I heard someone whisper.

"No idea, maybe back to camp to interrogate her."

"Should we go help him out?"

"No, he can handle it. Who was that girl anyway?"

"Well she could disappear so my guess is that she's Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena. She might be with Percy Jackson during the war, unless she's still with us, captured, you know. Taken prisoner."

"Do you guys know where he's going to interrogate her?"

"I think back at the camp, in his cabin. Or in the prison, wherever it is I hope that she can't escape, though I would love to see her try, with Carrie holding her and everything."

"Yeah."

I got up then stepped through a portal back to camp. I had to find Carrie.

The camp was unusually quiet. I guess it was because no one was here. I snuck around the camp, hoping to find Carrie and Annabeth.

"--You had no right." Carrie was growling.

"I have all the right in the world." Annabeth snarled. "In case you didn't know I've been there too."

"I knew. I was there. Why do you think Perseus didn't get you both killed? Because I turned away most of the monsters before they got to you guys. That's why you both survived. Not because of luck, or because some god took pity on you both, or even skill."

"You weren't down there or you would've helped us when we were dying."

"When you were attacked by the Arai one of the curses they put on Percy was that you would think that he had abandoned you. You were blinded, while he kept killing the beasts like an idiot, I was in the background making sure you wouldn't stumble off of a cliff and die." Carrie snarled.

"Why didn't you help us?"

"I did, more times than I can count. The mist aided me, I was able to blend into my surroundings. Though I was surprised by Bob. When Hades informed me that you had a titan friend I believed he was joking. But when I saw how you both were struggling in the pit I cashed in a favor and Hades sent Bob to help you two. If Iapetus would've be his normal self then he surely would've spotted me, but you both dulled him. Two demigods bringing a titan to his knees. A very idiotic thing if you ask me."

"It's not idiotic, it's strategic."

"Much like you allowing yourself to be captured so you could attack me and find out the location of my camp?"

"That wasn't my plan."

"Are you sure? You saw me coming from a mile away, you could've defended yourself."

"No I couldn't've. I had no idea that you knew where I was."

"No you didn't, but you still knew that I would capture you. Let me guess Chris allowed you to interrogate him?"

She fell silent for a moment then gave up.

"Yeah, he answered my questions."

"I knew it."

"Then why did you ask?"

"I wanted to see if you would lie to me, as you have been. Did he show off his powers?"

"What do you mean?"

"Did he control you? No, he wouldn't've."

"He controlled Percy."

"What did he make Perseus do?"

"Just show him around."

"Is that all?"

"Yeah."

"What were your questions to him? Tell me your exact words."

"He said you were there, so you already know, don't you?"

Carrie snarled at her, sounding scarier than I had ever heard him.

"You're terrified of that place, aren't you? That's why you freaked out."

"How dare you say I'm terrified of anything."

"But you are, You've been there more than once, haven't you?"

"Answer me! What were your questions, and what were his answers?"

"You have been there more than once!"

"I will throw you in the prison and you'll never see the light of day again. I'll make sure you suffer."

"No you won't."

"Try me." He growled.

"...I asked him if he knew where Courtney was."

"What did he say?"

"Yes. That's all he said."

"...You're lying. What was his actual response?"

"You were there, you don't need to ask."

"That's it!" Carrie snapped. "Either you will recount your interrogation of Chris or you will spend the rest of your life rotting away behind bars!"

"You're not strong enough to put me behind bars."

"Wanna bet?" Carrie hissed. I heard shuffling and yelps, then Annabeth saying,

"Alright, alright! Let go, let go!"

"What was his actual response?"

"H-he said, 'Of course I do'."

"How did you react?"

"I asked, 'You know where she is?' and he said, 'Duh, and last I checked Will Solace does too'."

Carrie snarled when Annabeth said 'Solace'.

"What else?" He sounded furious.

"...Chris told me that you have a... a girlfriend." Annabeth's voice was small, void of all the confidence she normally had.

But it was still loaded with curiosity.

I heard a thump, like Annabeth had fallen, and a loud and angry curse from Carrie. There was a thunk as if Carrie had punched the wall.

"...I-is that a yes?" Annabeth squeaked.

"No." Carrie huffed.

"A-alright." Annabeth sounded terrified.

I bet Carrie's never going to admit to the world that he and I are dating, I mentally sighed. I was so used to this that there was no point in freaking out. He probably won't even admit it after the battle.

I looked out over the camp as the sun began to set.

The war was here, at last.