Chapter thirty nine: Carrie

Three days until the war.

My dreams were littered with despair. I had finally had enough when I woke up in a cold sweat, closest to tears since I had been in— nope, not even going to think about it.

The scene changed, I stood in a war zone. Somehow I could tell that my parents were here, fighting somewhere. Something hadn't gone to plan, the middle-eastern rebels had taken over the compound. Soldiers were being shot one by one. Before they shot each, the rebels would rip the helmets off of the soldiers and would shoot them in the head.

One of the rebels ripped off my step-father's helmet, muttered something in arabic about him being a buffoon and fighting for the wrong cause, then shot him.

One of the other soldiers took in a sharp intake of breath, that had to be my mom. I stood and watched in horror at what was to come.

The soldier smirked and turned to my mother and ripped off her helmet. He growled some very horrid words about my mother that Juventas, Virtus, Lima, and pretty much every other immortal I knew would wash their mouth out and/or stabbed them for.

Then he shot her.

I woke up in a cold sweat, panting and desperately trying to forget what I just saw.

Everything was completely normal at breakfast, things really started to get strange once I lead the children of Hephaestus and Vulcan back to the makeshift camp. Again there were about twenty lookouts from the other camps. I had written a note earlier to Chiron and Reyna, I tied it to an arrow and shot it at Perseus' feet. He would definitely take it to them.

He jumped up in surprise and stared at me, I gave a slight nod and he grabbed the arrow.

"What'cha doing?" Someone spoke behind me.

I jumped and, in a blink of an eye, had my bow drawn and pointed at whoever it was.

"You really shouldn't sneak up on me." I growled and lowered my bow. "There are dire consequences."

"Like getting shot?" Alivia laughed and eyed my bow.

"Yes, like getting shot." I put away the arrow and pressed my watch, causing my bow to disappear.

"Juventas sent me to make sure that you didn't do anything stupid."

"Of course she did." I sighed.

"What happened between you two?"

"Just an argument, that's all."

"'Just an argument'?" She quoted.

"You may ask her yourself if you would like, I will not stop you, though she may not answer."

"I want to hear your side of the story."

"My side doesn't matter, what does matter is that I make sure nothing and no one will attack my trainees."

"Then I'll just ask—"

"Duck!" I stepped in front of her and shot a single arrow.

The arrow that was flying toward her was shot in half. I scanned my surroundings, in the distance I spied the archer, a boy with blonde hair and a Camp Half Blood shirt on.

Will Solace.

"What was th— Oh." Alivia's eyes found the arrow sitting on the ground.

My anger flared, and I don't know why.

"Get back to camp. No more arguing, I'm going to go see what that was. Don't tell anyone about this. Okay?"

"O-Okay." She walked down the hill and disappeared.

I pressed my watch and my bow and quiver disappeared then snuck down the hill and headed for Will Solace.

"What's wrong?" Michael caught up to me and I stopped in my tracks.

"Nothing, I just have to check something." I assured him.

He nodded and I continued to look through the tall, dry grass for Will.

"Why have you fired on me?" I demanded, pointing my bow at the son of Apollo.

"Woah! Don't shoot!" He put his hands up, I could tell he was just signalling for the other lookouts to come and help him.

"Why have you fired?"

"I don't know what you're—"

"I told him too." Perseus interrupted.

"Ah, Perseus, glad you could join the party. Did you give Chiron the letter?"

"Yeah, and stop calling me Perseus, my name is Percy."

"No." I said seriously. "So, what was Chiron's response?" I finished casually.

"He said yes, that's it."

"Good. Well, this was a pleasant discussion, goodbye Perseus Jackson and Will Solace, Perseus, please tell Annabeth Chase hello for me."

"How did he—" Will started.

"You leave her out of this." Perseus growled.

"I don't believe that is possible. See, this is a demigod war, she is a daughter of Athena, so therefore, she is a demigod." I started walking. "By the way, Will Solace, tell Nico Di Angelo I send my apologies, I may have caused him some... shortness of breath last night."

They both stood there, stunned as if I had hit them with a stunning arrow. I took that as a chance to leave.

"Any problems?" Michael questioned me once I got back to the makeshift camp.

"None, it seems the monsters are keeping away." I nodded.

"What about the lookouts?"

"They seem to be staying away as well."

"So they do have some brain." He laughed.

"They have strategy, it's getting tougher to keep an eye on them."

"That's not good, should we—" He tightened his grip on the mallet.

"No." I growled. "We aren't touching them until the battle, or it won't be fair."

"It won't be fair any way, we know every move they can throw at us."

"We can still fight like it's a real battle. If not it's just a training session."

"A really, really big training session."

"Yeah."